Ferrule placement???

Started by Norcal Pescador, December 30, 2010, 05:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Okay, Bryan.

Here's your first question.
I have a fiberglass salmon rod [8'10"] that I want to make a 2-piece rod. I use the rod for surf fishing and will use it for tossing light surface bait and jigs, all with 20# line. Does it matter where I put the ferrule set so it will fit in my truck? I've never had rod sections separate on me. I have no trouble with my 7 foot rods going in the bed diagonally. What does the rod-man recommend?

Thanks,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Phinaddict

Yo Rob,
I'm not a rod expert, but I know a little about trucks.... and you obviously need a bigger truck. I think you would be stylin' in a new F350...

;D

Gene
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Bryan Young

I agree with the truck.  But not just a F350, it has to be a diesel (manly power and can also run on veggie oil), crew cab, and long bed.  That way you can transport a 12' rod without any problems in the body of the truck. 

Ferrule placement...I would recommend the closest to the butt as possible especially since you will not have an integraded ferrule.  By placing the ferrule closest to the butt, it doesn't change the tip rod action, and will provide additional backbone to the butt section of the rod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Okay, a long-bed, veggie oil diesel F350 it is, but no duallies. :-\ Duallies are not stylin'! ;D ;D 
I saw American Tackle Co reinforced brass ferrules at Mud Hole and was going to use those unless there's something better.

Thanks guys.
Rob
[ :-[ Obviously in need of a new truck :-[ ]
Rob

Bryan Young

That's as good as it gets unless you build one up from an old fishing rod and reforce it with additional fiberglass and flexible resins.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Thanks for the info, Bryan. The custom rod was picked up at the builder's estate sale for basically nothing as there was a good reel attached to it. So it's not a major loss if it doesn't work out, although if there's a really nice fish at the other end of the line, I will say naughty words. I finished building a bamboo fly rod last month so I have a vague idea of what to do.
Rob
Rob

Bryan Young

Hi Rob,

I use my surf rack to transport my long rods when traveling with my little toyota corolla.  Most of my rods are single piece because I do not like any joint that can crack or change the action of the blank.

Good luck on the conversion.  Use tip cement.  Epoxy will make it difficult if you need to change the ferrule out.  Apply tip cement to the rod as you would with a tip.  Then heat the ferrule and slide the ferrule while twisting the ferrule as it slides down/up the blank.  The tip portion, I also cut and drop pieces of tip cement in the tube, and follow the same process.

Hope this helps.

Ha0uli Makahiki Hou,
Bryan

Norcal Pescador

Aloha, Bryan -
Thanks for the tip on cement for the ferrule. I've got a stick of tip glue and I'll definitely use that instead of epoxy. I haven't had a surf rack in about 40 years 8) and I put my long rods out the back sliding window of the truck with the butt on the dash. :-\   I need a better way for the long trips, therefore the conversion. Everything else is 6-7 foot one piece, so no worries there.
Mahalo friend,
Rob
Rob

Fishead

certainly the closer to the butt the better,too far up the rod will change the action of a rod,especially the lighter ones.also, be careful with the heat when using the ferrule cement as not to soften the glass of the rod.I have seen that done a few times.Good call on mud hole for parts,they seem to have one of the better selections for all rodbuilding supplies.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!