Calstar Grafighter700H

Started by Rivverrat, July 07, 2015, 12:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Been recommended this blank by several people. Any here fish a rod made form this blank?  The one complaint I here is from some who say it is not worthy of it's 50-60 lb. line rating. I've also noticed that most of these gripes seem to come from a younger batch of fisherman. Those that have been around a while fishing seem to like this blank.

Would like to hear any thoughts there might be here regarding this blank & it's use....Jeff   

crackerman

I have had two rods built using (I believe) that series of blank. One was a 770xh 80-120 the other one step heavier (775xh? 90-150ish). Both with unibutts finished at 7'10" for land based shark fishing. I love em. Yes, the top third is soft. The bottom 2/3 realet shines and lets.you power the fish in with its spine. Apparently they are used for bridge fishing, allowing length and teeter  totter rail rod fun.

Rivverrat

It is my understanding the 770 is a bit heavier blank than the 700. Your explanation of the action of these rods is a good one.

SoCalAngler

I'm a Calstar guy and I think the 700H is a good 40 lb stick and lighter drag 50. For 50 lb I like the 700XH better and it would also fish as a lighter drag 60 lb rod.

Unless I'm tossing bait often when I hit around the 50 lb test line I start to look at shorter rods, something in the 6.5' range.

doradoben

I think that a 700Xh would be a better choice. There is also an 800XH.  Calstar 770 and 775 (h, xh, etc.) were primarily designed as West Coast long range heavy line rail rods.

Newell Nut

Is this going to be a stand up rail rod or trolling rod? What are you fishing for? Are you strong enough to fight a fish with 20 or more lb of drag. Most people I know can't do that.

I have a 700M that whips big snappers easily and fished at 20 lb drag setting and it is tough to hold. The 700H could fight them a little better but this all comes down to you and what you plan to do with the rod and what kind of reel are you using?

conchydong

I fish the 700H with 40lb and use the 700XH for 50lb-60lb. Everyone has their preferences.

Rare

On pretty much on all the Dry Tortugas the ?00H is what they use 50lb line. I have a lite Pulley Ridge on the Yankee Capt coming up next week and should have my custom calstar ready by this weekend. It's an 800H with a 16in butt. I like my rod tucked under my armpit and that extra long extension helps. From here im gonna look at the United compostive, Seeker, Phenix.

Ive seen a few calstar on the bridge fishing but mostly it's gator blank or glass blanks 9ft.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 07, 2015, 12:01:00 PM
Is this going to be a stand up rail rod or trolling rod? What are you fishing for? Are you strong enough to fight a fish with 20 or more lb of drag. Most people I know can't do that.

Not an issue. I can pick 20 lbs. off the floor & hold it easy enough with a 7' rod. I run into fish once or twice weekly that can pull line at that drag.
I'm going to be using this rod for catfish. Rod will spend most of it's time soaking baits. I need the 20 lbs. of drag for the heavy current in the rivers & hopefully to help keep them out of the logs & other such stuff they live in & like to stay close to. There will be those occassional situations where 20 wont be enough. But for right now I've become very impressed with the Andros A-12. & think 3 of them will do well for every day use on the right rod.....Jeff  

SoCalAngler

IMO unless you need casting distance or a softer presentation of live bait a 6.5' rod may fit your needs better. With that said if you need to lift your rod to go around a outboard motor or longer outdrive a 7' may be even better or if it is a long reach around such things a 8' rod may be best. But, with a 8' rod and 20 lbs of drag that will be very hard to do for anyone, even the most studliest fisherman will find this difficult.

If your anchoring on the rivers and casting out baits 20 to 30 yards on either side of the boat or letting them drift strait back in the current and don't have a need to go back and forth over the motor/outdrive several times while hooked up a 6.5' rod would work best on a smaller boat. Something like a 765L should work well.

Now if your on a larger boat where the fish may swim underneath or around the motor and you need to rail your rod to keep the line from rubbing the hull or and reach out over the motor a 700HX would shine here.

For a big gun like a 800XH, this rod would work best when high off the water on a tall boat or barge and you need to keep the rod railed when hooked up as your line drifts under the boat or where winds and currents have your line going under the hull. But with 20 lbs of drag I sure hope you can put the rod on the rail. ;)

Rivverrat

I agree. I would not want to mess with 60 lb. line & the drag that goes with it on an 8' rod. While I can handle 20-25 lbs. I by no means would want to do it repeatedly on a long range trip with the type of fish that are available on some of these trips. The desire to prove myself diminished greatly along with my ego some 25 years ago......I've found fishing & life to be much more enjoyable since ;)

Jon Vadney

GX7 - 15#
700XL - 20#
700XLH - heavy 20#, light 25#
700L - 25#
700ML - light 30#
700M - 30#
700MH - light 40#
700H - 40#
700XH - 50#

I have fished all of the rods above extensively.

Normslanding

Being one of the old ones, not a younger one the 700H will fish 50/60 fine. The rod will (bend) load up farther down the blank. There seems to be a trend to have rods that (bend less) shut down quickly. So if you use the rail stiffer gives you more lift. If you stand up to fish more bend in the rod is easier on you, meaning the fish has less leverage. Look at vertical jig rods (very parabolic) they bend into the handle, giving advantage to the fisherman.
I bait fish a lot with 50# on a 700M. But the rod never gets near a Wahoo, that is reserved for a (fast taper) rod to cast lures but loads up very quickly.
This gives me casting ability and hook setting ability with a bony mouth. So as someone said it is about preference, your ability level, strength, and what you use it for. IMO a 700H will do what you want, if you want.
Hope this helps.

Rivverrat

Normslanding & Jon  your replies & obvious wisdom from use is greatly appreciated. I do mean that!
I'm greatly enjoying the mixed perspective on the topic of these blanks. It is all probably more telling of the individual than blank itself. But I am starting cipher from it all what I might like to try.Thing is with a rod blank that doesnt work out for the intended purpose I can always move it up or down in the class of reels I have finding a happy place for it.

steelfish

Jeff,

Im know you are now a UC guy, but did you ever built this blank you were asking ?

I have a nice GF 760H blank, its a 130lb one, so its strong but still light, the last 3rd of the blank is not as soft as the seeker 60XXH 130lb but still have a nice bend and its exactly as "crackerman" said, on the GF the rest 2/3 of the blank is where you feel the lift power of the blank.

this could be a nice livebait rod for big YT or groupers (its a tuna rod but we dont have tunas here), short and strong perfect formula for panga fishing, wondering if any of you have a GF rod on the same ratings
The Baja Guy