Costa Rica Fishing Tips

Started by mceehops, July 07, 2015, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mceehops

Hello all,
I am heading to Costa Rica on the 20-25th staying at a rental home in Manuel Antonio with a group of friends.  I am hoping to sneak in a fishing trip, but after hours and hours of internet research I am stumped as to what to plan.  I am on a bit of a budget as there will only be two fisherman to split the costs, so I am basically crossing off the full day, big game option off the list. I realize we could do a split trip, with other random fisherman but the wife is not very interested this scenario, but I am open at this point to suggestions.  Honestly I would rather catch my first Roosterfish than my first Marlin, although I wouldn't mind getting either, but the inshore option seems like a good one!  I am mainly focusing on inshore trips at this point for snapper, Roosterfish, Grouper etc (something to bring home and eat) but any information or advice is welcome!!  I just don't want this trip there to be without fishing, as who knows when I will be able to get there again!  Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Marc

jurelometer

Assume you are staying near Quepos and not in/near the actual park.  Don't remember the seasonal info, but this is important- a lot of water comes out of the river mouths in the wet season.  This is one of the first things to nail down.

If you are inclined to schlepping some gear with you there is surf fishing for Jacks, snappers, some roosters and big snook.   A new beach fishery is something tough to get dialed in in a couple days unless you get lucky and meet a local to fish with. 

You should be able to find inshore panga fishing for a reasonable rate compared to the offshore guys.  If you are staying nears Quepos, there are formal operations-  A quick look on the web showed some operation charging around 400 for a half day- 700 to 800 ($USD) for a full day.  I would expect these guys to provide all tackle.

If you expand your web search to Quepos and add keywords like "beach fishing" "surf fishing"  "river mouths"   panga, DIY, etc.  there will be lots of info.

-J

alantani

i met the guy from zancudo lodge several years ago, but it looks like it's a long distance away.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

twotone

When its the rainy season in Costa Rica the rivers bring debris to the ocean and the Dorado will be inshore in addition to the regular inshore fish. So don't count this one out on the Pangas. Sailfish can be there too. The rainy season is now and that means the slow tourist season.  Recently the rainy season has been less rainy than normal on the Pacific side, so your experience may differ. I have 23 Panga trips on the Pacific side. If you want to fish the river mouths take your our gear. No tackle stores or rented gear. And remember some days are fishing and some are catching. So don't skimp on tipping the crew, they you will remember you the next time around. It's all about respect as it is everywhere.You might even get the mate or guide for some surfing fishing / river-mouth trips. I've has seen Pangas trips from 250.00 half day to 400.00. I take the same crew every year and depart from Tamarindo/ Tammigrigo. Try to to stay with larger Pangas /26' Pangas causes the Papagayo wind may whip it up. Do all the research for the area on the web for your fishing. The best of luck.
twotone

whalebreath

The worst part of surf fishing the Quepos area is the ground swell-without going into gruesome detail and long boring stories Never Ever turn your back on the ocean.

All the usual stuff works but Pez Gallo is never easy-get up early/hit the beach/pound some rocky outcrops and hope for the best.

mceehops

Thank you for all of the responses!  Good stuff.

Great info about the Ground swell... and good reminder about turning your back on the ocean.  Been there... done that.

@whalebreath Do you know if it is legal to keep your catch from the beach in CR?  Are there protected species that I should be aware of?

Thanks again.

Marc

whalebreath

QuoteDo you know if it is legal to keep your catch from the beach in CR?
Not aware of any restrictions.

Quote Are there protected species that I should be aware of?
Not that I can remember.