Displays, Cabinets, Plinths & Such

Started by Tightlines667, July 08, 2015, 07:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I am somewhat facinated by some of the means others have found to store and display their fishing reels, and equipment.   Sal's beautiful, hand made cabinet, and his other display case immediately comes to mind...

Thread is here...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2937.0

Then there are all the different plinths that members have shared.  See the Plinth thread here..

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12950.0

Like these from our local plithmaster..Daron..

And a few more fine examples...

Here are a few of Dan's plinths..

Mike's old school plinth

And his new 'Shark Hunter Specials'...

Randy, Fred, and others that frequent shows certainly have some nice displays as well.  

Here is one of Randy's displays..

And here is one of Fred's...

I can't forget Ted's Pot O' Gold...

Here is a random Senator display Daron had previously pulled off of the Ebay...

*Seller was asking $2,500

Gotta share the link to this collection again..

http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/penn-reels.html

I've also seen some pretty snazzy reel displays in some of the older catalogs.  

Just thought I'd start a thread where folks can post pictures of reel and fishing gear displays (w/ or w/o said gear).

I attached a picture of my first display, a cheap/simple IKEA wall cabinet I spruced up a bit with some green felt backing ($30 investment).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Here are a few photos I borrowed off of a discontinued/nonsanctioned ORCA page of some plexi displays..

Hope springs eternal

coastal_dan

So much drool 'worthyness'.  Glad I'm not the only one saving other peoples pictures! HAHA!  I'm working with an Ikea system currently...it suits fine for the time being the glass doors obviously are a must...this is a few months ago, so things have come and gone.

Nice idea for a thread John!  I like your set up, some fine pieces you have too.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

PE Pete

I'm loving this thread! Very inspiring!
Pete

Alto Mare

Dan, that looks nice, its a good start.  Keep in mind you could grab a nice display cabinet for $50 or less on craigslist, mine was $40 and it was less than a mile from my house. I'm not talking about my custom cabinet, I couldn't put the price on that one ;) ;D

Thanks for doing this John, I hope I get to see more. Very nice...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Very nice accumulation of pictures John.  Thanks.

Sal, how are your spinners held on the cabinet door?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I place a screw through the foot ...just kidding Bryan ;D
Check here, we discussed this earlier:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2937.msg18492#msg18492
Most of the spinners you see are gone, one of the members here purchased a few at once.
Not a problem though, I have more new ones in the box at another location ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

I CAN ONLY SAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WOW!!!

broadway

Hey Crew,
    Sorry this took so long... thanks for the motivation, John! I love seeing other people's displays, collections, and ideas so keep them coming.
Hope you guys enjoy it, as I waited 2.5 years for my best pal to create this one of a kind piece.
He's a master craftsman that can do anything from forging steel, to build a car (ground up), to masonry, to art work (professional level and in galleries.) ...that's just to give you an idea of some of his skills.
     I had to wait for his work load to lessen, but I told him before I get married I need this display or she's gonna go on a cooking strike. :o  I had 30% of my kitchen cabinets filled with reels. Hey, I was single when I started filling them. ;D

Here's the Penn inlay (Oak+Maple) ... the bulk of the cabinet is made of Walnut and Beechwood.  Every piece of wood in this piece is from the great State of NY.  The walnut is something like 200-300 year old wood.

Never mind my Roomba, she stays busy as I am a bit of a neat freak with a touch of OCD. ;)
This shot is showing how to turn on the under cabinet LED lighting... just touch the 75th Anniversary Penn coin for on/off. I gave my pal, Steve, the coin and said to put it some where, so he did.  Yes, it sits flush.

We quickly realized this wasn't gonna cut it. Side note, the 16/0 has been changed as I was finally able to locate the proper handle for her just recently.

So... like New York City itself, we build up ;)

Lower glass (tempered) encased cabinet (left side) Dominick, Black Beauty (Penn 49)is on the bottom shelf with another "holy" spooled reel (Penn 149)

Lower glass encased cabinet (right side)

She's getting there...

Here's what she looks like today...

I couldn't be happier with my reel display... My art teacher, my mentor, my best friend did me right.
Whatcha think?
I tried to upload a video for you guys to see the details but the 4.5 minute production was too much photo bucket :-\
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Dom the Broadway Kid does us proud.  I am overwhelmed by the display.  Thanks for giving Black Beauty a prominent spot in the cabinet.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Dom, it was well worth the wait, those look amazing. A true craftsman indeed.
Beautiful work!

Sal

Tightlines667

Wow!

I think you win!

This is definately a photo of the month canidate.  Looks to me like that was well worth the wait.  Nice to see you still have a little space to fill too.  
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

What do you have on attached to the tailplates of thise 2 reels bottom, dead center?  Also, I for one would love to see a list of what you have displayed there.  Looks like you have an entire shelf of narrow reels..is there an anaversity 349, and a Sailfisher in that bunch?  Do you have any other complete sets (i.e. all Sea Hawk, Bridge City versions, or all examples of prewar take aparts).  Do you have a first year 109, or any of the other elusive 1 year models Mike mentions in his book?  Any trade reels?  Feel free to answer/list whatever you wish to share.  I can tell there was alot of effort and time put into both the collection, and the display.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dominick on July 09, 2015, 02:58:21 AM
Dom the Broadway Kid does us proud.
Great way to put it Dominick. I am proud too and in awe! :P
Calm Down John! Take a deep breath. ;D
Life is Good!