Displays, Cabinets, Plinths & Such

Started by Tightlines667, July 08, 2015, 07:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jonnou

200 year old wood!
Couldnt he find any fresh stuff
Just kidding.  Very special peice and beautiful timber

coastal_dan

Stunning Dom...thanks for sharing, and your collection is...wow.  I really like the inlay of the Penn 75th coin as well.  Please let your friend now that we are all inspired by his work.

Edit:  I've been working hard trying to get one of those darn ash trays...some are just priced too high!  I'm guessing the drawers have some nice things inside too?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

STRIPER LOU

Dom, that piece of work is absolutely amazing. It would be a privilege to have a friend that has that much talent. Awesome!!!!
................Lou

CapeFish

It belongs in a museum or a hall of fame, amazing!

swill88

Wow! 

Love those two middle drawer fronts. That was one wide, pretty board.

thanks...

foakes

Absolutely beautiful, Dom --

A true Renaissance Masterpiece from the Old School --

Excellent stock selection and contrast --

The inlay (Marquetry) is perfect and amazing --

A couple of comments from the peanut gallery, and these are only my thoughts:

Have a 1/4" piece of plate glass cut, polished on the edges, and curved on the front edges to match the arc on the front corners.  This is very inexpensive to have done -- and will protect the top surface from scratches over the years -- which will be unavoidable as reels are examined, switched around, and life happens.  The glass shop has clear plastic 3/32" nickel sized spacers to go between the glass and the surface.

Then consider this -- it may look hokey -- and the SS brushed drawer and door handles are a good match for the Penns.  However, consider installing (6) Penn 16/0 crank handle knobs -- attached to a SS drawer pull backing plate with round ends.  This would go into the same holes already drilled.  These knobs could be all one color -- or a combination of colors.  If we put the word out -- with the Worldwide reach of Alan's site -- I bet we could get some excellent condition knobs donated or available to purchase.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Simply magnificent, Dom. Wow, acquiring a bride and a custom-built heirloom in the space of a few months... you are one very fortunate fellow. Live long and catch lots of fish!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

broadway

Thanks again guys... I love this thing too!
Dan, only two drawers have reels in them. One of them has advertising pieces and spare vintage parts. There's nothing in the drawers that is more recent than 1954 ;) ...Steve and I decided we need one more bar across the top, so you'll be seeing the, shortly. Some have lots of brassing but others are sweet.
Fred, your suggestions make good sense and will think about a glass top to protect that surface. As for the handles, that's exactly what I tried to do, but was unable to find the handle knobs.  I lost a bid on eBay for about a dozen of them (4/0-9/0) a few months back and then just decided to match the handles to the rest of my house to tie it all in. I have to take a side shot because the glass is on the sides of the cabinet as well as the front.
Thanks crew,
Dom

theswimmer

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

I love Walnut furniture.
I have a piece of quarter sawn Walnut up in the shop rafters that is about 10"x10"x4' that is just waiting for the right project.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theluckpusher

WAHOO....I'm speechless....WAHOO....I love it....WAHOO....that's Nice...WAHOO....I'm speechless....WAHOO
"To Hell with Luck, I'll bring the Luck with Me." ---Hemingway

Penn Chronology

Absolutely perfect. I do agree that a piece of glass protecting that magnificent inlay work is called for. If we had a display contest, I do believe that you would have no competition.

AND, I see the super rare Red 9/O sitting quietly between his first and second gen brothers.

Your friend is a very talented man. 

Thanks for sharing.

Jerseymic

broadway

I appreciate the nice words guys. John, I will make a list in the very near future and catalog them while I'm at it.  Being that I recently got married and now a kid on the way, Oops, it slipped. ;) I will have to get it done soon because I see less time in my future. ::) Yes, it's a NIB 349 Ann. but no sailfisher, yet. As for the two reels in the center (good eye)... They are 2- 6/0 reels with an air valve used to crank up from the depths invented by Ralph Sanders (Nov.2nd 1965 patent).  These were the predecessor to the electric reels used today and believe these to be his 2 prototypes as I don't believe they were ever manufactured, but not positive of that fact. I can't find anything other than the patent info on these but they look wicked cool, are heavy as can be, and have a special spot in the display (mounted to my wall).  
   If a reel is new I typically don't touch it other than a polishing to remove finger prints.  Other than that I have worked on 95% of the reels in that display.  I need to do 2 (9/0's) and that will be all of them. I like to remove all grease/oil from the entire reel, which I've done on about 60% of them.  My reason for doing this is that my house is permanently climate controlled, there will never be staining of parts from old grease and much less maintenance.  Simply dust off the outside of the reel.   After all, I don't want any oils leaking on my precious display ;)
   I'll definitely show Steve (The builder) this thread, and let him know that these comments come from some seriously talented people with some serious collections.
Thanks crew,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!