Displays, Cabinets, Plinths & Such

Started by Tightlines667, July 08, 2015, 07:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Dude, you have nice things!  History belongs to those with the most display and storage space.
-steve

Frank

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 21, 2017, 05:39:35 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on December 20, 2017, 02:23:55 AM
Dom, how about a close up of Big Red.....lot of new members probably haven't had that pleasure...

Chris get ready to change drawers again...
Ask, and ye shall receive. ;)

WOW! I never even knew such a reel existed.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

thorhammer

I thought I was over the edge when I saw the fighting chair, then came the Tycoon coffee table...that's an unbelievable man cave. I guess you have the Pillar in drydock in the yard :)

Bill B

What an incredible collection of fishing history.  This room could definitely be set up in any museum and be a Must See.  Thank you for sharing.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Frank

Dom, please tell me more about your red 9/0. I never saw any thing bigger than a 6/0 in red and I went through all my old Penn catalogs today and had no luck locating it.

Thanks,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

RowdyW

It's a one of a kind!  Just like the 114h 6/0 with green plates in the Penn factory showcase.        Rudy

Midway Tommy

That is one cool room, John!  8) Man, I would hate to have to dust it. I doubt there'd be any glass balls left after I got done.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

milne

I've read this thread 3-4 times, admiring some of the collections being shown, but with the aim to come up with a display system.
There are some absolute beauties on this thread, hard acts to follow !!  And credit to everyone's displays.

I've been allocated a room, I had already actually claimed it, put in a full length timber desk and do work related paper work etc,
I think her indoors has realised, this reel collection fad is here to stay !

I work with Glass and mirrors, so I'm picking the overall theme may turn that way,  who knows.

But thanks for everyone's inspirations, great food for thought...............

Col

thorhammer

Dusted off the shelves, so dusting off John's excellent old thread (I thought it was Dom, but it was his cabinet in it), which deserves way better than to stay dormant three years! There are a lot of new members since 2018 that need to see these. Daron's "collections" thread has gotten legs again, so I'm gonna post a few new pics here since it's a cabonet sort of. Shelf, really, but at some pernt I'll add plexi doors, and then it'll be a cab.

thorhammer

Mods, please right the ship. This is the best agglomertaion photo I have, other things being variously in totes, on rods in racks, etc. etc.

Second photo zooms on the pair of 49A's and ProGear from brother Ted, a gentleman and scholar, and the 5001 DQ from Wayne by way of Fred: the latter being a gentleman and scholar as well. As to the former, Dominick may argue to the jury he is neither, but he's been very good to me. The DQ will be getting spooled up this weekend to venture to OBX here directly.

A few to note in Pic 1: The Iron Man Accurate 6/0; Of course, the silver, blue, and green sets of Cortez pieces that aren't currently on sticks (the 9/0's and 6/0 are Abrams tanks); Matched set of teal Peers (took awhile to get that together); PC Jiggy; Mint LB 60 from Fred; Mint 190 I found for $15; Teaser reel built mostly of Ted parts; Abu 8000 two-speed Alan built for me, where I upgraded knob from the little tinker-toy, stock one because the reel is rashed from previous owner, and will be fished; Pre-war 66 from Daron; Mint 1/0; Sailfishers (thanks, Greg!).

There are many, many other pieces, parts and reels in there to which the Ohana had an ohanda in the makings of, and I thank you all- at the very least for showing the way as to what is possible from Day One with a handle wrench.

Also: The 501 with green spool has provenance from Sal, to match the handle he made me. That spool convo was the last (of many)  communications I had with him, as he went to the hospital shortly thereafter. I had a NIB SS spool he was hunting for a build but he wouldn't accept it gratis, tho I would've given it freely and still been substantially in his debt, such a generous person was he. No, Sal would only trade, asking what color I wanted, and that happened to be green, in my mind to match the handle I had from him previously. At the time I believe he had the two green PC spools extant. Alan C. would have to weigh in as to if ever made more, but I had one and Sal the other, and that was all right by me. Should the Tib frame become available in silver again, I will complete that build with the green plates I have for it.

thorhammer

I didn't check to see which pic was first. Descending: all Jiggy's what aren't on rods; third, Senators and teaser 49; fourth, Long Beaches, Mariners, Sailfishers; Penn Spinners and Abu's, bottom is miscellaneous stuff, Daiwa, Shimano, Garcia, others. There are also the Squidders, Beachmasters, Surfmasters, Monofil mixed around in there somewhere.

foakes

Done, John —

Adjusted the photo to upright.

Great collection display!

Couple of things —

That DAM Quick 5001 is rated by Alan Hawk, as one of the most capable HD Saltwater Spinning reels ever produced by any manufacturer — then or now.  It is the "Godfather" of Salt spinners.

There are (2) versions — yours is the HD High Speed version.  There is also a Lower-Geared version when very large fish are targeted.  The only clue to the low-gear ID is that there is no HS (high speed) sticker on the exterior.

As for Sal — he is with me every day.

Last week, I looked back over some of my personal messages — there were 468 from and to Sal.

We provided each other reels, parts, advice, encouragement, ideas, and friendship over the years.  NEVER was a dime exchanged between us.

The only way to get Sal to accept a reel or parts — was to just send it to him.

He became interested in DAM Quick reels because of their quality and engineering.  Lots of conversations after that.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Wow John, very impressive. I think there's still room for one more !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!