NEED HELP WITH FISHING RELATED DRILL PRESS

Started by Dominick, July 09, 2015, 08:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi AT Members.  I was given a drill press.  I promise the first thing I drill will be something for a fishing reel in order to pass the fishing related subject matter of this site.  This series of photos will be the before photos.  The help I need is the chuck is missing.  I know I can purchase a chuck but I don't know the size or how to put it together.  Also as you will see in the photos it is pretty rusty.  How would you go about getting the rust off and polish the surface.  Also any other tips.  Even if the tip is dump it.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Dominick!

I've seen your garage, where are you hiding everything???? ::)

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

A decent, average Jacobs chuck will cost about what the King is worth.

Then I would take it apart a section at a time -- clean up everything using a fine wire wheel attached to a grinder or drill -- base, post, indexer, gear strip, lever feed, etc., rewire with good HD grounded cord and new attachment hardware.

Do the table, removing all rust -- then use 600 emory paper in a finishing sander to smooth it out and remove swirls -- blow it off with a compressor -- rub a coat of machine oil on the surface to protect from further rust.

Appears to be just surface rust -- should clean up fine with a day or so of elbow grease.

Do the tower post, vertical gear strip comes off -- clean it up, then reinstall.

This machine is made in Taiwan -- so before doing anything, make sure new brushes are available for the motor.  Install these before using, since it apppears to have been sitting unused for 30 of its 34 year life span -- and the brushes will likely burn up within a minute or two.

Should take a 1/2" or 5/8" chuck -- Harbor Freight may have one that fits for a good price.

Or, you can go to Home Depot, get a 12" bench mount Ryobi, with variable speed handle, laser X, work light -- for about $130, or so -- sell this one on CL for around $75 -- then have a new one for an effective cost of around $60 - $70.  That is what I did.

These are great for drilling or cleaning reel parts like posts, etc.

Good luck with the project, Dominick...use eye protection for sure when cleaning, and maybe back off on the Zin while doing this chore -- got to be sharp when using these high speed tools.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Robert Janssen

About the rust, start with a scotch-brite pad and maybe some rust-remover goop. That and some elbow grease will do most of the job. After that, it is up to you how much work you want to put into it.

About the chuck, drill chucks typically consist if two parts: the machine taper, and the chuck itself. The machine taper is what holds the chuck to the machine, or so to say what fits in the hole in your machine. There are dozens of types of machine taper, but the overwhelming majority are of the type known as Morse Taper, usually in a machine like this size 2 or 3, abbreviated as MT2 or MT3.
These are available for a small cost online or at a decent hardware store.

At the other end of this MT2 or MT3 is a manner for affixing the actual drill chuck-- threads, or another shorter taper. This depends on what drill chuck you choose.

Three se7ens

The spindle bore is probably morse taper, and you can measure the end of it to get a good idea which size.  MT3 or MT2 is the most likely based on the size, but you would need to measure to be sure. 

Id recommend avoiding harbor freight chucks.  The runout accuracy is poor, which leads to oversized holes, and a greater chance of breaking drill bits.  Jacobs chucks are the industry standard for a reason, and they are not terribly expensive.  Look for a used 14N, and you will never have to buy another chuck.  I have an 11N for my lathe, but its max capacity is only 3/8". 

The drill chuck will have a female taper as well, known as jacobs taper or JT followed by one or two numbers.  You will need an adapter that fits the chuck and the drill press, but you can find the chuck and adapter together. 

heres a good read on drill presses:  http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/drill_presses_chucks.htm

David Hall

Nice pick up, that rust is just surface, Jacobs chuck , 1/2" but can't tell if your missing the spindle, adjust speed manually by moving belt, per diagram, I'd see where it is first before adjusting, may need a belt.
Very good home drill.

Reel 224

Quote from: Three se7ens on July 10, 2015, 01:27:08 AM
The spindle bore is probably morse taper, and you can measure the end of it to get a good idea which size.  MT3 or MT2 is the most likely based on the size, but you would need to measure to be sure. 

Id recommend avoiding harbor freight chucks.  The runout accuracy is poor, which leads to oversized holes, and a greater chance of breaking drill bits.  Jacobs chucks are the industry standard for a reason, and they are not terribly expensive.  Look for a used 14N, and you will never have to buy another chuck.  I have an 11N for my lathe, but its max capacity is only 3/8". 

The drill chuck will have a female taper as well, known as jacobs taper or JT followed by one or two numbers.  You will need an adapter that fits the chuck and the drill press, but you can find the chuck and adapter together. 

heres a good read on drill presses:  http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/drill_presses_chucks.htm

I have the Jet bench drill press with many different attachments and it is indeed a great machine, but a heck of an investment with all the whistles and bells shown there, not something the average joe would want to spend his fortune on unless he was in business or flush with cash. The Jacobs chuck alone is $100.00 or you can go higher.

As far as I'm concerned, if I were going to invest that sort of cash I would much rather buy a bench Mill and lathe combo.

Dominick: Scotch bright will do wonders with a little elbow grease and some WD-40 then wipe all the mettle parts with some light oil and your good to go. Belts and a chuck can be purchased on line without breaking the bank...you don't have to buy a Jacobs Chuck, that is for a guy that has a shop where he is constantly changing tools. Get a keyed chuck. Nice find good luck with it. Don't drill yourself ::) ;D  Ya know what I just read Fred's post and he is right on sell that press and get the Ryobi he suggested.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Three se7ens

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 10, 2015, 02:53:21 AM
Quote from: Three se7ens on July 10, 2015, 01:27:08 AM

I have the Jet bench drill press with many different attachments and it is indeed a great machine, but a heck of an investment with all the whistles and bells shown there, not something the average joe would want to spend his fortune on unless he was in business or flush with cash. The Jacobs chuck alone is $100.00 or you can go higher.

As far as I'm concerned, if I were going to invest that sort of cash I would much rather buy a bench Mill and lathe combo.

Dominick: Scotch bright will do wonders with a little elbow grease and some WD-40 then wipe all the mettle parts with some light oil and your good to go. Belts and a chuck can be purchased on line without breaking the bank...you don't have to buy a Jacobs Chuck, that is for a guy that has a shop where he is constantly changing tools. Get a keyed chuck. Nice find good luck with it. Don't drill yourself ::) ;D  Ya know what I just read Fred's post and he is right on sell that press and get the Ryobi he suggested.

Bells and whistles can really break the bank for sure, but the value of a quality chuck is sound.  They hold their value well, and are easy to sell.  Its an investment, and unlike cheap alternatives, you can easily sell it for a premium price, or it will add to the value of the drill press if you decide to sell it as a package.  I still recommend buying used, and I picked up my 11n jacobs chuck off ebay for a good price.  It had a bit of patina in the recesses, but in excellent overall condition, and works like a champ.

There is nothing more expensive than cheap tools than cannot do the job at hand efficiently.  If you think your drill press was expensive, a milling machine can bring you to your knees.  I have spent more in tooling just this year than I originally spent for my mill.  But the difference high end tool holding and tooling has made is unbelievable. 

Scotchbrite and wd40 do wonders for cleaning.  Corrosion x does wonders for long term treatment.

David Hall

I was wrong, just looked it up you need a 5/8" MT2 .ebay 29.95

RowdyW

Dominick, for the amount of use that you will need a drill press for just go to Harbor Freight & pick up one made in China for $60 & sell that one on CL. That HF drill press will outlast you & me. I've had a bench model for over 35 years & it's as good as the day I bought it. I've even drilled stainless steel brake rotors with it.       RUDY

Reel 224

I think there are great suggestions here but when you get down to brass tacks, it's a matter of use as far as home or professional use is concerned. Jacobs Chuck is a great improvement to a good drill press but for one that is mid range it does little to bring up a decent price and I doubt you will get your money back. There is no question that the Jacobs is top shelf but as was said tool shop top of the line tools can definitely kill your budget. Just ask me! ::) :D I wish I had that cash now. :-[   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

The other gent was correct with the Scothbrite pads. I just did one that way. When you get to a point where your happy, do the last time around with the ScotchBrite and some WD-40 and then wipe it down.
Craigslist and ebay has had mt2's and mt3's used for $30. or so. Good luck with your project!
.................lou

Marlinmate

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

johndtuttle

Marcq