Fishing with older reels - Pflueger Capitol & Rocket, and Penn 309

Started by capitoldave, July 09, 2015, 09:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capitoldave

Greetings all.  I just joined and today is my first post.   What a great website with great folks helping fellow fisherman, including a novice saltwater angler (beginner?) like me from the midwest.   Thank you everyone for helping and sharing.

I have the old reels mentioned above, in good shape, but have only fished from the surf once a couple of years ago, and want to fish more in the Florida Gulf from shore and party boat.  Are these reels practical to bottom fish without modification?    I acquired them from various places without significant cost, but a couple have slow retreive rates.  Some friendly tacklet shops said the Penn was not worth adding bearings and I don't know if I can increase the retrieve rate.  I won't be chasing tuna wth these things.   I like the vintage styles, but wonder if I should sell them to someone else who might collect and buy a more modern bottom reel with a faster retrieve.   I hope to fish a couple days each year in Sarasota, but probably don't have sea legs for really rough water.

Thanks!   

Capitol Dave

foakes

Welcome, Dave --

You will find many different opinions here -- like everywhere else in life.

Not much is discovered, if everyone agrees.

The fish haven't changed since those reels were manufactured.

Yes, there are better reels out there today -- but these will do just fine.

The Rocket is not built for Salt Water, regardless of other claims to the contrary.  Keep it in the fresh H2o.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

capitoldave

Nice to hear from you, and thank you for responding.  I think I will try things out, and there is always the store if things don't work as well as I want.  P.S.  I like your office.  Dave

handi2

The Penn 309 is still being used up here in the panhandle of Florida. Many use it for light Snapper fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

Quote from: capitoldave on July 09, 2015, 09:17:22 PM
Greetings all.  I just joined and today is my first post.   What a great website with great folks helping fellow fisherman, including a novice saltwater angler (beginner?) like me from the midwest.   Thank you everyone for helping and sharing.

I have the old reels mentioned above, in good shape, but have only fished from the surf once a couple of years ago, and want to fish more in the Florida Gulf from shore and party boat.  Are these reels practical to bottom fish without modification?    I acquired them from various places without significant cost, but a couple have slow retreive rates.  Some friendly tacklet shops said the Penn was not worth adding bearings and I don't know if I can increase the retrieve rate.  I won't be chasing tuna wth these things.   I like the vintage styles, but wonder if I should sell them to someone else who might collect and buy a more modern bottom reel with a faster retrieve.   I hope to fish a couple days each year in Sarasota, but probably don't have sea legs for really rough water.

Thanks!   

Capitol Dave

Dave: I am working on a Pflueger Capital right now and once I get drag washers I will be reassembling it along with pictures, I have made some alterations on it and you may or may not be interested in what Ive done but don't sell that Capital just yet...at least until you see what I have done with mine. Then if you want to sell it let me know.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

capitoldave

I will keep you in mind.  I like the reel, let me know how you did.  Maybe I need to hire you for service!  Thanks.  Dave

broschro

the 309 on a mh rod with 40# braid and a good top shoot of mono will catch anything you my encounter on the party grounds. my son caught himself a 25 to 30 amberjack last weekend on his.

Reel 224

Quote from: capitoldave on July 10, 2015, 02:49:37 PM
I will keep you in mind.  I like the reel, let me know how you did.  Maybe I need to hire you for service!  Thanks.  Dave

I will be posting pictures of the Pflueger Capital here once I have all of the parts I need, so stay tuned for the next step, maybe you will want to do the same to your reel,or if you want me to help you with it we could arrange something I'm sure.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi.

The Penn 309 is slow and weak but a lot of them were used in SE Alaska for halibut and salmon.  I'd use one if I didn't have other reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on July 12, 2015, 01:47:06 PM
Hi.

The Penn 309 is slow and weak but a lot of them were used in SE Alaska for halibut and salmon.  I'd use one if I didn't have other reels.

The Pflueger Capitol that I have seams like a pretty stout reel, it should be able to handle fish up to 80#'s with no problem and the spool seams to have a good capacity for say 80# mono or braid even Dacron. I'm not to sure of the reels intended use, although I own one but I wouldn't be afraid to use it on fish in the 80-100 lb class. 

Newell Nut

The 309 is not my first choice for off shore fishing but I keep one here for my sister that likes a level wind when she fishes with me and it works just fine for small snapper and other reef dwellers. If you don't push the drag to far and mess up the level wind then the reel can catch some nice fish.