New Old Stock -- Vintage Leather Drag Discs

Started by foakes, July 11, 2015, 11:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Was looking for some odd drags today -- and found a few old leather drags -- brand new.

Appear to be about 6-155 size.

If someone needs a few for an old Penn Restoration back to original -- let me know, and I will send you some.

These are tough to find anywhere -- new.  Haven't been made for a good many years now.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Yep I think it's been a few days since they stopped making them..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

You have quite an assortment there Fred, Ill have to check some of my older reels to see if anything you have will match them.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Joe,

These would be for any old Penns destined to be restored to original and set on the shelf.

For a user reel -- nothing beats Greased CFs as an upgrade.

Let me know -- and I could send a set or two out to you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on July 12, 2015, 02:42:26 AM
Joe,

These would be for any old Penns destined to be restored to original and set on the shelf.

For a user reel -- nothing beats Greased CFs as an upgrade.

Let me know -- and I could send a set or two out to you.

Best,

Fred

Well Fred so far none of my reels are shelf material,they all are used.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

Fred,

Thank you for offering these here.

I was not sure when exactly Penn transitioned to the more modern drag washers, so I perused some old caralogs.  From what I can ascertain, there is no option for the newer 'asbestos' drag washers in non-senator reels until the color Catalog no. 18 (1954/1955), when upgraded drag washers were available for the 6-60, 6-49, & 6-130.  Maybe someone with more resources can verify my findings?  Incidentally, this is also the first mention (I could find on my catalog resources) that offer a different ('nonflat') dogspring option.  I know catalogs can mis-represent dates, sometimes showing older charts/info, and sometimes just now mentioning something that had already been in place for sometime.

But, I think it would be safe to say any non-numbered Penn reel should have leather drag washers, except Senators 4/0 & up which should have thick asbestos washers.  I am not sure when the smaller 1/0- 3/0 Senators transitioned from leather to asbestos, but the 1946 catalog suggests asbestos were only standard on 113-118 Senators at this time, and since they used the same drag washers as the other small reels, I might conjecture this occurred around the same time as the other small reels (mid 1950s).  Also, not sure when Penn did away with the asbestos washers, and replaced them with carbonfiber?  I would guess around the same time they did away with the asbestos washers, 3rd generation drag system, in the International reels (mid 1980s).  But that is just a guess.

Fred,

I could use 3 ea. 6-49, & 3ea. 6-60 for my 2 prewar reels in 'Minty' fresh condition.  I would also take a few extra (whatever you feel comfortable sending me) of 6-60, and 6-155.  I hope to someday have 6-10 prewar reels in minty condition so maybe 18 washers, though that might be a pretty tall order.

*BTW, these dold for $0.10 in 1945, and $0.25 in 1955.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Hi John --

The only new ones I have any supply of are the 6-155.  And those are just what you see (15-20?).

Have a few drawers of used ones I use in a pinch -- might be something there that is decent.

Have some of the old asbestos thick ones new.

And plenty of CFs.

So PM me what you need -- including material, ID, OD, etc.

Some are mixed up -- so I will see how close we can come to what you need.  Very likely not everything -- just some.

Also PM your address again, so I don't have to look it up -- and I will get these out to you.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.