New (to me) pro gear 545

Started by Three se7ens, July 19, 2015, 06:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I just discovered 2 PG545 under my bench, disassembled. I guess I have a bit of work to do. Stock or upgrade?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

STRIPER LOU

Bryan, I would call that a very Merry Christmas find! Beats anything I found in my stocking!!!!  Stock or modded, ya cant go wrong with either!

A Merry Christmas to you and the family,  ..  Lou

Three se7ens

Btw, the Black Pearl double dog bridge for the 113H dropped right in.  The first time I tried it, I was using a stainless gear sleeve from Alan Tani, and it was too tight when I installed the pin in the sleeve.  The Black Pearl 10 tooth gear sleeve fit perfect, and has the dogs engaging at the same time.  The bridge itself dropped right in with no clearance issues. 

MarkT

My 545 has the power handle, double dog bridge and stainless stud with Bryans drag stack. More than tough enough for fishing 40#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mhc

Nice reel Adam, compact and strong - like you said - perfect for pulling fish of a reef. I'm thinking a steel 3.25:1 penn 113H gear set would give even more winching torque.

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 25, 2016, 05:40:56 PM
I just discovered 2 PG545 under my bench, disassembled. I guess I have a bit of work to do. Stock or upgrade?

Any progress with these Bryan? I'm interested in what you have decided to do with them.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rancanfish

Mike, I did exactly what you are thinking with mine.

I put an original Penn steel gear set in, in addition to copying MarkT's set up example with the DD bridge, SS sleeve, etc.

I think it will pull the reef up now!

PS Look at the 541 too if you can't locate a 545. Both great reels.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Sorry Mike. I'm still out of town. Will be back for a few days but planning to spend as much time with my family before I ship out again. Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Three se7ens

Quote from: mhc on January 15, 2017, 01:20:13 PM
Nice reel Adam, compact and strong - like you said - perfect for pulling fish of a reef. I'm thinking a steel 3.25:1 penn 113H gear set would give even more winching torque.

Mike

I originally had a steel 3.25 gear for this, but the ipt was a bit too low for my preference.  It was around 22 inches/turn if I recall, which was pretty much identical to the low speed on my okuma cavalla.  The power was nice with a big fish, but there were few times where I actually preferred the low gear over the high gear.  The 4:1 black pearl gears put this reel right in the middle of high and low gear on that reel, so I think its a perfect speed.  I think its around 26 ipt now.