I NEED A FIX FOR A NEP-TUNA ROD

Started by Dominick, July 19, 2015, 06:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi rod gurus.  Here is a series of photos of a Nep-Tuna rod/reel combination I acquired.  There is a problem with the rod ferrule not fitting properly.  I'll explain below.
Here is the set after fully servicing it.  I left the drags as original and they are the brake pad asbestos type.

The rod part of the set-up looks like it was custom made but I suspect not for the Nep-Tuna.

Here is the first problem I noticed.  The ferrule is only 1 3/4 inches to the flange.

Notice in this photo that the hole is 3 inches deep.

Peering into the hole shows a smooth surface with a little corrosion in the bottom. 

Here is the problem.  As you can see the male tip contains two pips.  I am assuming that they are there to keep the rod from twisting while under tension with a fish on.  When the set-up is assembled the male tip will only go in as far as the flange.  Once the nut is tightened the rod and reel set-up looks solid but the rod twists in place.  It cannot be fished like it is.  I intended to take the set-up to Mexico next month to fish it.  Unless I can resolve the problem I am having I won't bother to lug it down.  Also since this is a Penn 6/0 reel built into the rod I am going to load it with 65lb mono if I can resolve the problem.  Any suggestions folks?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

I recently rebuilt a vintage two piece that had some movement in it. The only solution that I could come up with for that one was to use rod epoxy in the female side and then slide it together and tighten the nut. Let it set over night and no more wiggle or jiggle, but strong and solid.

Dominick

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 19, 2015, 07:50:05 PM
I recently rebuilt a vintage two piece that had some movement in it. The only solution that I could come up with for that one was to use rod epoxy in the female side and then slide it together and tighten the nut. Let it set over night and no more wiggle or jiggle, but strong and solid.
Thanks Dwight.  Did that seal the rod and reel together or were you still able to take it apart?  I would rather not make it so that it would not pull apart.  The idea is solid though.  I could use JB Weld with lubrication on the male fitting so that it would create a mold and not stick.  What do you think?  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

My way creates one piece with no joint. I can see why you would not want to but don't forget about your personal safety if the current joint fails under a heavy load. I know one old captain that had one of those two piece rods snap and stab him in the gut.

1Forecon

I would do one of two things to lock the rod portion ferrule into the reel seat/butt portion.

-build a sleeve insert that could be dropped into the reel seat ferrule that has the appropriate stand off from the bottom of the ferrule and is notched to accept the rod ferrule nubs to lock in place and restricting side play. It would need to be tested for fit and function and then epoxied in place. This would allow the rod to remain two pieces joined together when you wish it to be.
   ---------------------------------OR-----------------------------------------------------
-fill the reel seat ferrule with JB weld from the bottom to approx. 1/8"-1/4"more than the length of the rod end ferrule, coat the rod end ferrule with "release agent", found in gun bedding kits. Allow the  JB weld to firm up then press in the rod end ferrule creating a mold. Trim to size. Grind down with dremel bit or notch with dremel . etc..

OR: Any combination of the above

My 2 cents,

Hank

Clancy

Dom
I had one similar years ago I drilled a hole in the bottom of seat tapped it and put a small knurled screw in it
That took slop out of it but it was an extra rod so don't remember how long it lasted. You might take a six pack out on the patio watch sunset and drink beer until gone then go back inside and check this sight someone smarter than us will have  an answer lol good luck
Clancy

Penn Chronology

It looks to me like the female portion of the ferrule has been sanded for an easy fit, causing a loose fit. Being that you want to fish with it, you have to make a decision. If it were mine, I would replace the ferrule. I have done a number of these, the job is tedious and labor intensive. You have to get the old ferrule out of the cradle without damaging it. I have done this by carefully cutting the female ferrule and then collapsing it inward to remove it. Removing the male ferrule from the rod is easy, you just split it with a high speed cutting wheel and remove it.

Next you would have to find a new old stock locking reel seat and work that by cutting the female portion out of the reel seat and fitting it into the cradle. Like I said, it is very labor intensive.

I am in the process of doing a Penn Senator 6/O with a Senator matching 6/O rod. I wish I could tell you the process is easy; but, it is not.

Here are the reel seat parts after they have been made ready for the cradle and rod.

Here is what you want before you glue it;

I do not have all the pictures yet for the completed job. I just finished the rod a couple of days ago. The cradle assembly will come out nice if you take the time.

This 6/O cradle is painted and clear coated, ready for the rod. The epoxy should be the long time setting type.

Superhook

Dominick,

If you were wondering how they fit together to stop the twist .

At the bottom of the male rod ferule is a half moon slot . You can see it in Mike's photo. At the bottom of the female ferule that fits inside the Nep-tuna cradle is a horizontal small diameter rod . You can just see a small edge of the rod in the 2nd photo . ( when you know what/where to look for )

Regarding your existing rod , If you had access to a female ferule to match the male ferule on the rod it would be an easier fix.

Mike,

Great job and you've beefed it up with a 6/0 one piece spool reel.

Ray

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
I would send this to Mike. He is an expert on these cradles.
I stay away from them. I know they can be used to their full potential with his knowledge.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI know they can be used to their full potential with his knowledge.

Ha, I did not know that! ;D

All my cradle reels, except one, are wall hangers. I build them to fish; but, I do not have the time to fish much, so I never try them. I do sell them from time to time. The first one I built, was a Jigmaster sized cradle. That one I have fished with for years; but, it is a one piece rig. I just epoxied the rod and handle into the cradle. I have been fishing with it for years without a problem.

The biggest problem with replacing a ferrule is locating a new one that fits the cradle. When I did my International 80 Cradle, I actually had to find a vintage big game rod with a locking reel seat that would work. I had to cut up the big game rod to refit it and build a jig to fit the cradle on my drill press vertically. Then I had to ream the cradle to fit the big game rod ferrule to it. Sometimes the amount of custom work gets questionable in terms of whether the results are going to work or not. The potential for damaging an irreplaceable part are always present.

BTW Ray, the 6/0 in the cradle I am building right now, is a 114H, that is why it has the one piece spool. This particular rig I am building to fish with, if I ever get another boat to use it on.

Normslanding

I am not good at pictures on this site, so I will do this verbally.
Give me some OD's, and ID's on the ferrule pieces. I have a couple of ferrules in the .75" range that may work. I may have access to one in the .875" range. The ferrule in the pictures is very similar to the ones used in the two piece Tru-line rods. They are very hard to come by any more.

FYI, Also the color of the glass in the rod looks unusual. The very early Neptuna/Limaglass had color like this. Later they were two very yellow colors.

Shark Hunter

You see why I stay away from these now Dominick? They are really pieces of fishing history, when I first saw one, I didn't even know what it was until Mike explained it to me.
For my type of fishing, I have no use for them. My Gear is heavy enough. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Superhook on July 20, 2015, 07:51:02 AM
Dominick,

If you were wondering how they fit together to stop the twist .

At the bottom of the male rod ferule is a half moon slot . You can see it in Mike's photo. At the bottom of the female ferule that fits inside the Nep-tuna cradle is a horizontal small diameter rod . You can just see a small edge of the rod in the 2nd photo . ( when you know what/where to look for )

Regarding your existing rod , If you had access to a female ferule to match the male ferule on the rod it would be an easier fix.

Mike,

Great job and you've beefed it up with a 6/0 one piece spool reel.

Ray
Ray if you look at the photo I posted you will see that the mechanism to keep the rod from turning in place is different.

Quote from: Normslanding on July 20, 2015, 06:18:26 PM
Give me some OD's, and ID's on the ferrule pieces. I have a couple of ferrules in the .75" range that may work. I may have access to one in the .875" range. The ferrule in the pictures is very similar to the ones used in the two piece Tru-line rods. They are very hard to come by any more.

FYI, Also the color of the glass in the rod looks unusual. The very early Neptuna/Limaglass had color like this. Later they were two very yellow colors.
Norm, I left the set-up at my boat mechanic's shop.  I'll pick it up today and do the measuring.  Dominick

Dominick

Quote from: Normslanding on July 20, 2015, 06:18:26 PM

Norm OD on the male piece is 78.90" 20.06mm.  Female side ID is 79.00" 20.12mm. 

Dominick

Joe I don't do numbers.  I'm just copying off of a digital calipers.  I went to law school so I would not have to deal with numbers.  I have a philosophy that all answers to all mathematical questions is 37.  That way I'm never wrong.  Dominick