I NEED A FIX FOR A NEP-TUNA ROD

Started by Dominick, July 19, 2015, 06:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normslanding

Sorry that it to big, it will not work.

Penn Chronology

OK, I was going to do another thread; but, I think I am becoming redundant in the Neptuna cradle category. So I will simply post my finished pictures here. I feel this rig is special because of the matching vintage rod and reel. The reel is a 114H, that runs better than new and the rod is a tried and true Penn Special Senator 6/O size. Just what the doctor ordered to complete this rig;

Here it is sitting on my Pool Table.

Before I installed the reel, I painted the cradle with silver enamel, then clear coated the wood butt and cradle with polyurethane. Putting a Penn Senator Reel with a Penn Senator rod made me feel like this was a marriage made in heaven. The perfect mating, even the vintages of all the parts are correct or at the very least, close to correct.

The new ferrule is what started this thread. If Dominick can get the parts, then he can solve the problem he has with his rig.

Having the tags all match is what makes it so right.

Please excuse me if I stole this thread for a bit. I just needed to share this finished product.

Dominick

No problem on stealing the thread.  Is that the same hardware from the Penn Senator rod?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIs that the same hardware from the Penn Senator rod?  Dominick

The rod tip is a stock Penn Senator 6/O rod except for the ferrule I used to facilitate the attachment of the cradle. This Penn Senator rod was a one piece rod that I turned into a two piece by cutting it at the reel seat.

1Forecon

Duh-there you go.

You grind the little nubs off on your male ferrule smooth, then notch it and either drill and peen a cross bar at the correct depth on the female ferrule --or add to the male end by drilling, tapping adding on a similar diameter piece of metal with a drilled tapped hole with threaded rod between and epoxied, then add a cross bar into the female end at whatever depth you end up with. The cross bar can be a certain thickness of flat metal and epoxied into place(like a washer that'll fit but turned on it's side).

Dominick

I thought I would bump this thread.  I am ready to take on this project.  I PM'd Mike to see if he could get me the parts I need.  He doesn't have them nor does he know where to get them.  Does anyone have a matching ferrule like Mike used in his post?  I would like to use the cradle reel in October on my next Baja trip.  Come on dig in those boxes in the garage with rod parts and see if you have the parts.  I am reluctant to use the reel as is because I do not believe it is strong enough to take on big fish.  Mike's fix is exactly what I need.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I would not alter anything even though it apperes to be a mismatch.  Have a machenest make a drop in insert.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Quote from: Dominick on July 22, 2015, 04:02:11 PM
Joe I don't do numbers.  I'm just copying off of a digital calipers.  I went to law school so I would not have to deal with numbers.  I have a philosophy that all answers to all mathematical questions is 37.  That way I'm never wrong.  Dominick

My number thusly is 46.  Maker's 46, to be specific. It is enigmatic in that it both solves and creats problems simultaneously at its own will.

newfuturevintage

Hi Dominick--

In your shoes, I'd be looking to create an epoxy mold like has been discussed, or I'd try to find a section of pipe to epoxy into the female side. Before epoxying, I'd grind a mating taper and notches to accept the male side.

I wonder if you were able to get a tight fitting, solid piece of pipe in there that's maybe one thread longer than exact if you'd need to mess with epoxy at all. If the ends were a little rough, and you tightened down the nut very firmly it might have enough friction to hold.

Dominick

I solved the problem by drilling and tapping the hole with a No. 10 SS screw.  I will fish it this Nov.  Thanks for all the advice.  Dominick