Fin-nor OFC30 vs LTC30

Started by Deadweight, July 21, 2015, 04:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadweight

Hey guys,

I have the old model Fin-nor OFC 30 which I use for casting baits for sharks. I've been pretty satisfied by the reel's performance but the new LTC models look pretty nice. Does anyone know the difference between the two models and is it worth the upgrade? The LTCs are claiming to have a 'megalock anti reverse, but I cannot find any info on it nor does there seem to be a schematic on the web. Short of going down to the local tackle shop and asking to pull apart one of their reels to check it out (!) I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!

Tightlines667

Heres the schematic, and page to order parts...

http://www.tackleservice.com/Consumer/Product_detail_m.aspx?ProductID=5412

Appears to have the same system...a single floating, winged AR dog, and 1 antireverse bearing.

Here is the parts page for the OFC30...

http://www.tackleservice.com/Consumer/product_detail_m.aspx?productid=2957

Personally I like the colors on the old one better :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Deadweight

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 21, 2015, 05:25:36 AM
Heres the schematic, and page to order parts...

http://www.tackleservice.com/Consumer/Product_detail_m.aspx?ProductID=5412

Appears to have the same system...a single floating, winged AR dog, and 1 antireverse bearing.

Here is the parts page for the OFC30...

http://www.tackleservice.com/Consumer/product_detail_m.aspx?productid=2957

Personally I like the colors on the old one better :)

Ahh yep, thanks a lot!

Jeri

Hi Deadweight,

We've been selling both these models of the Finnors since they arrived on the market, and using both personally. Awesome reels.

After 18 months using the OFC series, we wrote a review of the reels – 'warts and all'. On the OFC we noted that the original series had relatively poor quality anodising, prone to chipping and then the casting oxidising. Also the lack of a third bearing on the spool shaft under tensioner cap – only a bush. But apart from that excellent robust reel, ideal for surf casting and shark surf usage.

The LTC is basically an u[p grade of exactly the same reel – nearly all the components are identical. The only changes are the improved anodising and subsequent change in colour scheme. The addition of a third bearing on the spool shaft, replacing the bush. The changing of the two main spool bearings to ceramic hybrids, and a cosmetic change to the handle – which I don't like, but then easy enough to buy a replacement OFC handle and fit it. Apart from those changes, absolutely everything else is the same.

What this has done is improved the casting ability of the reel from very fast to super fast, and now the centrifugal braking system is essential for surf casting.

Like all products, the sales folks get hold of an item, and highlight it with a new 'mega', 'Micro' or Nano' name – but he fact is the anti-reverse bearing is the same as the old model.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Tightlines667

Jeri,

I'm sure there are many other members who would like to read your reviews.  Is there any chance you could copy them ober to AT or provide links?  I have always enjoyed your posts.  You bring a unique perspective given the predominant fishing style there.  Thanks for sharing some ensight into these reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Jeri

Hi,

The review is a little dated now, as it was published in 2011, and there have been changes to the whole surf fishing reel scene since then. As above the updated Lethal from Finnor is doing well, but basically built on the strong repyutation of the original OFC. The Diawa mimic with Saltist BG, still has all the problems of the original Slatist model, and a few more of its own. The recent introduction of a new Torium is going to be like the changes to the Trinidad to one piece frame - for surf fishing a real pain, as it will also require a full strip down and rebuild just to maintain and oil the bearings.

The biggest changes we are seeing is the steady convcersion at top competition level to big fixed spool reels, loaded with 50lb braid, and some serious casting distances coming from that, as well as big sharks. A lot of problems are also coming in that field, as some of the problems unique to surf fishing test some of the reels. We hook the bottom on occassions, and need to pull for a break, which with 50lb braid is problematic to some of the reels as they bend main shafts. Again Finnor and Quantum have cured the problem with ther Lethal and Cabo reels. Shimanos lower than Stellas have issues, as do a lot of other reels. The value of Alan Hawk's web site is missed on a lot of folks, and 'local folklore' comes into play, and some expensive mistakes are learned.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Deadweight

Thanks a lot for the input Jeri! As this reel will be used predominately for casting I'm now thinking it might be worth the upgrade to the LTC.