Spool pinion gear removal

Started by Sandbar33, January 03, 2011, 02:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandbar33

Started cleaning my ABU 7000 reels and have run across a problem trying to remove the white spool pinion gear. Any ideas to pull this thing off without damaging it?

alantani

here is a very old, plain, 7000.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_7000_04-00.pdf

the idler gear at the end of the spool is part #8703 and it just pops on and off.  the safest way to do this is to have someone hold the spool steady, the slide two small screwdriver blades underneath the lip of the gear at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, then turn the screwdrivers clockwise.  that will provide even lifting pressure straight up and at opposite ends.  if it is truely jammed on, you will damage the gear regardless and it will have to be replaced.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sandbar33

Alan

what is behind that gear and the break on the other end? Bushings? Is it best to just leave the spool alone besides cleaning or would it be worth the time to remove the parts and clean even further?

Roger

Sandbar, i'm assuming you have a 7000 that the idler gear just snaps on over the little stud on the sideplate. If that's what your referring to. There are about 3 ways to get that idler gear off and Alan has already told you about one. Now here are a couple of others.

1) Take a piece of braid or mono and make a loop underneath the gear and leave enough sticking up that you can wrap your hand around, get a good grip and pull straight up and it will pop right off.

2) Get an exacto knife and cut the ring off the top of the gear and it will slide right off. This way, you'll need a new gear to slip back on or a C-clip to put over the post. (It Works)

If you decide to do the line and pull method be sure and pull straight up. If you pull at an angle of any kind you take the chance of the post coming off (Not a good thing). If that happens you'll have to get a new sideplate. (Been there, Done that)

Roger
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

Hi Alan, I think you may have made a small mistake in this post.  You say Idler gear instead of pinion.  That has caused Roger then to explain other ways to take off the idler gear.  Could be a confusing read for some, as you are talking about the removal of two different parts. 

yeah, guys, i goofed.  it's the gear on the spool that has to be popped off, not the gear on the side plate, right?

alantani

does anyone know how to post a pdf file? :-\

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on January 04, 2011, 07:18:05 PM
does anyone know how to post a pdf file? :-\
I convert PDF files to TIF files, upload to photobucket, then post the image.  If you need any pdf converted to tif or jpg, email them to me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D