Line Pullers - they prevent line cuts

Started by mmayo, July 28, 2015, 10:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

For many years I've used these line pullers to tie knots and test knots before fishing. They have saved me from line cuts many times; on my last 10 day and 8 day I had zero line cuts! Up to now I have given them away on almost all of my fishing trips. Many folks borrowed them and sometimes I had to go find mine.
All of my custom tackle boxes come standard with them. Once tried-they are addictive.

Here are my used line pullers; note the numerous deep grooves from line. Each of these would have been a line cut. If you tie spectra to mono or fluorocarbon, these simple devices can make those knots tighter than ever before with complete safety.

Be sure you do not cross line when wrapping it around the line pullers.

If you want a pair, I have made several for sale. The price is $10 per pair in yellow.  Shipping is $5 per pair of pullers. They are about 4"  long x 1" in diameter.  Also available are solid oak core pullers in 1/2" and 3/4" diameters at the same price.

Kindly send me an EMAIL and not a pm to:
mlmayo2@verizon.net (2nd letter is a lower case L)

The ones for sale look like the photo just above this text or I can make a pair using black material like the photos at the top.

"Received mine last week and used them last weekend.  The worked great.  No line cuts.  I had been using 2 section of an old rod but the line tended to slip on the smooth surface...XAF"

"Got'm. They look sweet. Thanks!...Tom"

"I bought a set. They work great! I don't know about the price though. $15 seems a little low, I would have been happy to give you $20...tp626"

"I received my set a few weeks ago and are strong and they can be used to tie many different rigs...Joe"

"Received the line pullers today. They look great. Will test this weekend. Thank You...Bill"
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

xaf

Received mine last week and used them last weekend.  The worked great.  No line cuts.  I had been using 2 section of an old rod but the line tended to slip on the smooth surface.

mmayo

Line Pullers – a way to reduce or prevent line cuts

Congratulations on your purchase of my line pullers. They are a product of my frustration with line cuts while on long range boats and when connecting spectra to monofilament as I prepared for a trip. Yes, they are simple in appearance, but they work. They have been successful at reducing my line cuts to zero for the last two 8 day trips and a 10 day trip and my knots have a much lower failure rate too.

Hook and Terminal Tackle Connections

The object is to wrap the line three or four times around a single line puller without crossing. If you wrap line on top of another layer, you will weaken the line and lose a fish. I like to use a ring or eye on my tackle box to hold the hook safely. Boats have rings attached near the tackle racks and have drilled holes in the tackle racks for this use too. Tie your favorite knot, wet it, but do not pull it down immediately. Wrap the line around the puller (BE SURE NOT TO CROSS THE LINE as you wrap it) and put your hand over the line around the puller. Reduce the distance between the puller and the hook to as little as possible – one inch is ideal. Now pull the knot tight with a smooth, steady pull. Cut the tag ends to the length you like and Re-Test the knot. Beware that you will probably break light test line at first until you learn how much force you can now exert using the line pullers. You can be confident that you can pull with more force than you will using a very tight drag!

Monofilament to Fluorocarbon Connections

Tie your favorite knot to connect monofilament to fluorocarbon and wet the knot. Wrap the monofilament around one line puller. BE SURE NOT TO CROSS THE LINE as you wrap it. Wrap the fluorocarbon around a second line puller. BE SURE NOT TO CROSS THE LINE as you wrap it. Reduce the distance between the pullers to as little as possible. There could only be 1"-2" of space between the pullers if done correctly. Take one puller in each hand surrounding the wraps of line and gently, but firmly pull. The knot should tie down very well using the line pullers and may look better than your previous knots. Cut the tag ends to the length you like and Re-Test the knot. Some care will be needed to judge how strongly to pull; you may break the monofilament of fluorocarbon at first by using too much force.

Spectra to Monofilament or Fluorocarbon Connections

This is where the pullers are really needed as Spectra or braided line can easily cut through your hands. If you have used it for fishing you have already cut yourself numerous times. Spectra can cut through anchor line on sport fishing boats. Tie your knot between the Spectra and your mono or fluorocarbon and wet it. This vary from a Tony Pena knot, RP knot, uni to uni or worm knot, whatever you think you can correctly tie. Wrap the Spectra around one puller four times and wrap the monofilament or fluorocarbon around a second puller at least three times. BE SURE NOT TO CROSS THE LINE on either puller – the wraps must be on the puller, not the other coils of line. Reduce the distance between the pullers to as little as possible, this is the key to pulling power. There could only be 1"-2" of space between the pullers if done correctly. Take one puller in each hand surrounding the wraps of line and gently, but firmly pull. It should surprise you how well you can pull when no possibility exists for cutting your hands. You can break many connections, but that is not your goal. You want a nicely pulled-down knot that has survived a strong, slow test pull. Examine your knot and be sure it looks correct in every way. Trim the tag ends to the length you like. Re-test the knot again. If it has passed two very strong pulls, it will hold up when you fish. Drags usually are set at 25%-30% of line breaking strength; with line pullers you will exceed this easily. This means your knot has already been tested at a greater tension than you will use when fishing and it will not fail.

Beware – I started making extra line pullers after people on the boat walked away from my tackle box with my line pullers. Most of the time they brought them back, but not always. They work!

mmayo

Just added thanks to Tom Pham - 1/2" and 3/4" line pullers in addition to my typical 1" diameter line pullers.  The price is the same $10/pair + $4 shipping. I use the 1/2" diameter line pullers to tighten nub nail connections.

The 1/2" and 3/4" line pullers have a solid oak core.

mmayo

An owner of one of my tackle boxes is a long time user of my line pullers.  On a recent Barking Spiders trip he showed met his well-used pullers and I offered to trade his for new ones.

Each of those grooves is a line cut he did not suffer!