Another DIY spool bearing pin plier... that works too

Started by steelfish, August 08, 2015, 12:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

actually is based on the pin plier from the Boss, a vice grip locking plier with a deep groove dremeled on the jaw.

but with a little twist, no even trying to make it better than the boss it just that I though it could work better for me if the deep groove was on the front of the jaw instead on one of the sides.

ended up been just perfect, I was really thinking that I would need the boca plier or Reelspeed plier but Aaron's plier ran out and were not ready for another batch, and boca.. well they are just pricey and liked Aaron's plier more.

my friend wanted his Trinidad 30 ready to go fishing and I opted to make the repair "ala" Alantani way.

the cut is not centered, is from the center of the jaw to the right.

spool bearing retaining pin fit nicely on the groove.

the force applied was totally paralel to the shaft and the grip was steady so, no worries on binding the pin or the spool shaft

YAY!!! already pressed one half, then took the pin with the left half of the jaw tip, not too firmy just enough to make a twist movement while pulling.  

Tadaaaaaa'... good work, well done Alex

you can clearly see which one is the new bearing

put the pin back on the spool shaft was as easy.. err, well 3x easier than take it out .. no dramas, no mistakes and not a single scratch on the spool..

thanks Alan, thanks guys that did you own DIY tools.

The Baja Guy

josa1

Now that's a good job.  I really like things that work and this seems to work great!

How did you do such a good job of cutting the groove?  Looks like professional quality.

josa1

steelfish

Thanks,

the cutting job is far from being a professional job.
I made it with a cutting wheel of my dremmel and a steady hand pulse.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Great job Steelfish.  Keep up the good work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Thanks Dom,

Just applying What I learned  from the guys here and saving money at the same time.
The Baja Guy

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jon_Kol

Well done, looks great!

I can't get the hang of the BOCA spool pin plier when it comes to pins on multi reels, is it just me or are these mainly designed to handle spinner? A lot of times the angle of the plier's grip isn't wide enough, so I've had to skip replacing the bearing sitting behind the spool pin on some reels - like the Tekotas.

steelfish

thanks Jon,

I actually thats why I went over a custom made spool pin plier than Boca or any other brand or tool, I read a lot about them and mayority were good on most reels but there were some reels that they just dont fit, the jaws are too big, the angle of the spool is to tight, its not that strong, etc.
I cant still justify to get me tons of expensive tools while I mostly servicing friends and co-workers reels.

this DIY plier worked pretty good and will be used for another shimano reel when needed, the big plus here is that I still can use it to fix the car, plumber conections, gas hoses, etc, etc  ;D.........and next day to fix another reel  ;)
The Baja Guy

LTM

Quote from: Jon_Kol on August 13, 2015, 11:32:12 AM
Well done, looks great!

I can't get the hang of the BOCA spool pin plier when it comes to pins on multi reels, is it just me or are these mainly designed to handle spinner? A lot of times the angle of the plier's grip isn't wide enough, so I've had to skip replacing the bearing sitting behind the spool pin on some reels - like the Tekotas.
If you need a wider grip try this:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4841.0

Leo

handi2

Quote from: Jon_Kol on August 13, 2015, 11:32:12 AMWell done, looks great!

The Boca pin pliers are crap.

The only manufacturer that makes one that works is ReelSpeed pin pliers.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL