Not sure what to call this rod I'm building....maybe MacGyer?

Started by Steve-O, August 08, 2015, 07:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hmm you know, it would be cool for me to get this rod fixed and make it a two section rod.

how do you search and install a ferrule for a 2-section rods?

it doesnt have to be a pro tip, it could be a Macgyver idea too LOL

The Baja Guy

Steve-O

Mudhole is the company I use for rod building supplies. And I only use the reinforced ferrules for bigger game.  You need a caliper mic to accurately measure you rod diameter.

Measure lots ...make One cut. I've cut 4-5 one piece rods in half to make them travel rods. No failures, yet. And not much if any loss of sensitivity.

My latest two.

Steve-O

Another pic or two.  The carbon golf club shaft butt extension looks way long ...however it is measured to end just past my armpit with my elbow at my side and my hand comfortably cradling the reel at jigging position.   I'm 6'2" with long arms to boot. They both now fit me perfectly and in my travel case which goes on the plane as a carry on and fits in the overheard compartment.

Bottom pic showing spiral wrapped guides. Went to a park to cast a 5oz weight. Easy lobs go 50m...slightly harder was getting into 60 and 70 m . Had one near overrun that became a thumb burner while slowing the spool a bit. Looks to me like 8 oz could also cast easily but that's heavy iMO for shore casting. I'm content with it and ready to test it in the Pacific or sooner on some big Carp.

MarkT

Very cool but I'd go for a faster transition to the bottom.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Steve-O

Quote from: MarkT on August 13, 2015, 03:37:49 AM
Very cool but I'd go for a faster transition to the bottom.

Yea, when I looked at my other spiral wrap jobs only 3 or so went around and from there on to the tip top were underneath. Kodak Moment I reckon. ::)

If I see any issues with it under load on many, many fishes in Alaska next month , I will strip the culprits and get them under the rod.

Reel 224

Quote from: Steve-O on August 12, 2015, 11:33:42 PM
Mudhole is the company I use for rod building supplies. And I only use the reinforced ferrules for bigger game.  You need a caliper mic to accurately measure you rod diameter.

Measure lots ...make One cut. I've cut 4-5 one piece rods in half to make them travel rods. No failures, yet. And not much if any loss of sensitivity.

My latest two.

I use to use Mud Hole, although I have another name for then that isn't complementary and not appropriate for Alan's site. How do you find there service. ie Delivery time and delivery charges? I make a honest effort to avoid them as much as possible.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Steve-O

It's been a while for me, too...just sayin. I got what I needed at the time.

Reel 224

Quote from: Steve-O on August 14, 2015, 10:49:15 PM

Try this site next time you are looking for rod material http://www.utmostenterprises.com/utmost_001.htm TOLL FREE PHONE:  (800) 588-6678 They are in Washington state.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Steve-O

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 15, 2015, 12:20:23 AM
Quote from: Steve-O on August 14, 2015, 10:49:15 PM

Try this site next time you are looking for rod material http://www.utmostenterprises.com/utmost_001.htm TOLL FREE PHONE:  (800) 588-6678 They are in Washington state.

Thanks, Joe, I will take a look at them.