New Halibut Rig...show-n-tell

Started by Steve-O, January 05, 2011, 07:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

If they roll as good as they look,they should work well.Just another thought,those bearings will get more salt water on them in one day of fishing than most reel bearings get in them in a season or more so keep em well lubed.If you are going to use braided line you could use a thicker lube than with mono.If they dont roll easily,mono will not grip the roller like braid will and just slide over them.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

elnath

Quote from: Steve-O on January 10, 2011, 03:37:54 PM
Bryan,

Being a moderator yourself, I suppose you'd be able to answer this. Is it OK to post the link? I'm not 100 percent on the forum policy about doing so.

I'm not affiliated in any way with them. Nor do I get commission or discounts or any other such perks. I will say I'm a VERY satisfied repeat customer. I can post a direct link or just give the name and those interested can do the legwork.

Let me know either way so I'll be in compliance with the forum policy.

Steve-O

PS-I watched the charkbait video and noticed that the screw together joining system that they use is identical to my rod down to the gimbaled aluminum insert that keeps the rod aligned when assembled. Charkbait mentions the joint systems are NOT for sale to rod builders and are proprietary. Could be the same manufacturer?
What would be really nice is if I could suggest my source to offer an acid wrapped (spiral-mounted-around-the-blank-non-roller-guides for those who don't know 'acid wrap')  two piece rod in various weight classes at  his amazing low prices.

Looks good.  I'm heading for AK later this year.  It would be fantastic if we could get an acid wrap version of that rod!!!! 

Steve-O

Thanks for the comments and input, guys! I'm going to degrease the roller bearings and replace with blue marine grease before I hit the salt. Thanks for that tip, Fishead. These look to be short of being full of auto/machine type grease so it just makes sense to do it right.

On the acid wrap....the retailer was contacted and is willing to have them made. He told me it takes a 4-6 month cycle to produce them (China). I gave him some websites to explore and one has the degree wheel for several types of acid wrap guides layout.

I'm still thinking I might get a couple more of his two piece rods and re-do them myself. His prices are low enough to buy two and possibly goof one up in the process and still come out with a low investment. I've wrapped and repaired rods over the years (forget I said that) and could do this during these cold freezing snowy nights this winter.

Steve-O

Humboldtfisher

Hey Steve-O

So did you use this rod this summer? Did you catch halibut with it? Are you happy with the rod? I ask since I purchased a couple of these rods after reading your post, for a trip to Belize where we were going to do some bluewater trolling. The 50-80lb rod I purchased broke before it even wetted a line or caught a fish! The reel seat broke the 2nd time I put a reel on it, as I was getting gear ready on the boat in Belize........ended up carrying that piece of crap to Belize and back to CA without fishing it. At least it was replaced quickly. I now have a pair of the 30-50lbs rods, but haven't really put them to the test on a big fish, just several 10-12lb king mackeral, nothing to really stress them. Starting to think it's a case of you get what you paid for......low bucks for cheap quality. Maybe you have a better report to share.

Ross

Snagged2

Those are good looking rods,,,
A good performance evaluation will be welcome..Good or bad..

Be interested to know where to source those 2 piece couplings,,

Steve-O

My experience with the Davis Big Game Rod on my trip to AK was fine. Like anything anyone buys - Caviat Emptor! I went through all the components of the rod before taking the trip. I cleaned and repacked ALL the roller bearings and greased the screw together ferrule. The workmanship was just like every fishing rod made in China (ALMOST ALL OF THEM NOW). Then before the trip I "pre-fished" the rod on a 25 pound tool box in my man-room while both sitting and standing with and without the fighting belt. The 80# Dyneema braid held up fine as did all the components of the rod. Plus my Avet Clone reel held up like a tank.

On the water I fished the rod only a couple of days as I quickly discovered it was overpowering  all the fish I was catching. All four rods I took were two piece - either factory, custom built by me or the antique Japanese bamboo ocean rod. My intent was to build a small arsenal of two piece carry on the plane rods (not bag checked) that I could take with me to Alaska and other destinations for big fish. I feel I've succeeded in my quest and may build some more of different class weights. Turns out my baby blue rig quickly became my fav of that trip. It worked well on big gar in Texas, too.

I would buy another Davis rod in a NY minute and am waiting to see if they offer a spiral wrapped version.

The review on the hull truth - if you care to read it - is not really a review but a forum conversation that goes south about getting what you pay for or not. Applies to anything IMO.

I went in eyes-open - $64 bucks for a two piece big game rod? nahhhh...not gonna be worth the postage to return it.....I was WRONG.

Check out Charkbait for their two piece travel rod for $300 bucks. Must be much better cuz it cost more. Check out the two piece gimbaled screw together ferrule....looks like the VERY same ferrule as Davis uses.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-Travel-Rods.htm

For a money is no object purist then one piece mega buck rigs are the way to go. For guys who have jobs, families and limited fishing gear budgets.....buy the best you can afford, build your own, or go budget and risk the consequence of caveat emptor. I do all of it and rarely get burned.....except that one time I bought cheap hooks.....wahhh.....no more cheap hooks.....Owner gets my $$$ now.

So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Steve-o

Humboldtfisher

Steve-o:

Thanks for the response. I had also "tested" the rod in the garage by mounting the reel and pulling on it with some weights and it felt fine. Then the bummer was hauling the rod all the way to Belize, putting the reel on the seat and then the seat came loose so that the reel flopped over. At least it was replaced quickly and so far no components have failed on the new rod, but then again they haven't really been put to the test.

Ross

Steve-O

By the way......the fighting belt in the first page images did NOT go fishing with me. It looks good, is constructed well, but the design leaves the wearer in pain. When I pre-fished it with the rod and tool box weight I found the belt digging in like crazy. Definitely not comfy....at least on a lean guy like myself. I built the Rod Tee out of PVC and tennis racquet handle wrap. Worked great and left it with the lodge in AK to replicate for all their boats. Did the same thing again for my Texas Gator Gar trip. Built two, left one with Bubba Bedre of Garzilla. These were the same construction with digital camo duct tape wrapped on the arms. Super comfy, moves around the body with ease, fast on and off. Less than two bucks to build. ;D

Steve-O

redsetta

Cracker idea/design, Steve-O - that's my weekend project sorted.
Great that you've shared it around, too.
Also, x2 on your comments re: buying the gear you can afford and always buying quality hooks.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

seen the same thing as your t-piece with a rubber band that clips onto the reel

Steve-O

Yep, a lanyard would be handy, too. FYI- I used 1 inch PVC with a 1 inch Tee joint glued in. Just used super glue since I didn't have any dope handy. Drill a hole and thread a couple feet of shock cord and you're set. I kept mine in my front or back pocket. Set the hook, grab the tee, get the fish close in and drop the tee at my feet to deal with the fish.

Snagged2