jtwill98

I forgot to add one more item I find useful. I service reels at my soldering bench, which also has a 10x magnifying lamp that I find useful with my aging eyes.  ;) 

handi2

I use the Milwaukee power M4 power screwdriver that has a great clutch. The clutch is so light I have to tighten the screws with a screwdriver after. Or I use the M4 to tighten on larger reels.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shellbelly

Quote from: jtwill98 on January 29, 2023, 05:31:34 AMI find useful with my aging eyes
That's a frustrating problem.  I got these from a long-retired machinist.  A bit comical, but they work.  Jewelers glasses with multiple lenses would be another option. 

My reel work area is in our living room so I can't get too "industrial" in there and the garage is a sawdust factory. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

handi2

Quote from: Shellbelly on January 29, 2023, 02:52:55 PM
Quote from: jtwill98 on January 29, 2023, 05:31:34 AMI find useful with my aging eyes
That's a frustrating problem.  I got these from a long-retired machinist.  A bit comical, but they work.  Jewelers glasses with multiple lenses would be another option. 

My reel work area is in our living room so I can't get too "industrial" in there and the garage is a sawdust factory.

I've seen those used in movies

They are cool 😎
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Shellbelly on January 29, 2023, 02:52:55 PM

Anybody know the proper name for those glasses , They are kinder cool to have around .  I know there are a lots of head band types and some clip on eye loops .
    When I fly under the radar in the living room  "reel shop"
        And when my glasses need glasses , I use a hanging magnifier or a hand held .
    The garage has the swing arm with light magnifier .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

PacRat

My dentist uses something similar. It has a small light in the middle and it fits over his glasses. An advertisement for a similar device recently popped up on my computer but I scrolled past it when I saw the price. I believe it was a bit north of $500.

foakes

There is a dual lighted Electrix magnifier permanently mounted to the main bench.  Just moves out of the way when not needed.

Also use a color 20X Merlin when needed for very close inspection.

When Micro-Tuning a reel for best & smoothest function —- it is amazing the tiny flaws or burrs that can be detected on parts with these —- but invisible to the naked eye even with glasses.

Makes all the difference —- and makes everything quicker and more effective operating.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kevin cozens

I recently purchasd a smooth drag 8 in 1 spanner from blakdog tackle here in the UK.
What i would like to get hold of is a better wench for the handle nuts fitted to mitchell 600 series multipliers.
The OEM supplied took is OK but its a little on the short side.