Yamaha Grease

Started by GuyA, January 05, 2011, 10:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Tom T Fred is looking down in his avatar so you can't see his eyes.  It's in the eyes where you see the craziness.  The other thing is he told a story where he had to be crazy to cross running water a hundred feet across.  Yep! totally nuts.   :D ;D :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

No, I wasn't crazy -- just 21 -- not much difference...😄😄😄

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TomT

Fred,
I used to go before the road closure.  I remember one location where a jeep or narrow wheel base could ride on the "road".  A wider wheel base had to put the right tire on a downed tree or trees for what seemed to be about 100' +.  If you went too far right then you were probably high centered.  The other memorable part was a section we called the "rock pile".  It was very steep and very rocky.  Again a jeep could get thru with few problems, but in my Dodge pickup we always had to jack up one wheel or the other and put rocks under the tires to get thru.  and this was many times of jacking and installing rocks.  But we were young and it was fun!!  Ahh!! the good ol days!!  But I NEVER had to swim to get thru. ;D
TomT

Eric_LBZ

Is this the right grease to lube screws like for example screws for body foot on a  andros A 5ll?

Shark Hunter

Yes,
It will work fine for that Eric. Just don't use it in the drag washers. Everywhere else is OK.
Life is Good!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on February 08, 2014, 07:02:40 PM
yeah, it's sticky, tacky and i've always hated working with it.  i dunno, just one of those things.  i think it would work fine, and i would use it if that's all i had access to, but i just took an immediate disliking to it.  :-\

Isnt stcky and tacky good things on marine grease ?

What are the other reason that make you immediate dislike it (sta lube) compared to yamaha

I have one brand new tube and unopened but im sure I can return it and find a true yamaha marine stuff
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: Eric_LBZ on February 03, 2015, 03:52:13 AM
Is this the right grease to lube screws like for example screws for body foot on a  andros A 5ll?

Yep, it will be perfect.

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on April 03, 2015, 05:16:16 AM
Quote from: alantani on February 08, 2014, 07:02:40 PM
yeah, it's sticky, tacky and i've always hated working with it.  i dunno, just one of those things.  i think it would work fine, and i would use it if that's all i had access to, but i just took an immediate disliking to it.  :-\

Isnt stcky and tacky good things on marine grease ?

What are the other reason that make you immediate dislike it (sta lube) compared to yamaha

I have one brand new tube and unopened but im sure I can return it and find a true yamaha marine stuff

Sticky and tacky are kinda different ideas if not exactly scientific terms. :)

I think of sticky as ability to cling to parts, tacky nearly the same but the technical definition means " something still sticky but not dry". Unfortunately, sometimes we want parts to slide a little easier and the sticky becomes too much.

Anyways, depending on the reel and part depends on the use. If you want uber durable gear protection then sticky is great...on a conventional reel that will never notice it. Spinners can feel a little sluggish with super sticky greases, bearings too.

Very durable and sticky lubes that are great for gears can be cut with oils like corrosion-x for other uses.

Everyone has their own special flavor for different uses. I like Penn Grease as it is just right for nearly anything.

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 03, 2015, 04:08:58 PM
........Unfortunately, sometimes we want parts to slide a little easier and the sticky becomes too much.

gotcha !!!

Im returning the Sta lub tube today.. I still have a bunch of cals grease while I get the Yamaha blue marine grease
The Baja Guy

Quoc_Pham

Question... anyone have a spec sheet for this grease?

Reel 224

I received my first tube of Yamaha Marine grease the other day and I did use it on my penn 200. I'm still on the fence between Cals and the Yamaha, Cals seams to be lighter but I'm anxious to see how it holds up to Salt water conditions, the Yamaha is thicker and leaves a nice film on the interior parts and it looks like it will hold up better in moist salty conditions. Ill know by the end of this season.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

when used as a general purpose grease, i've found that cal's tends to pick up water and harden.  that's why i've stuck to yamaha marine grease.  cal's is limited to drag washers. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on April 14, 2015, 05:19:29 AM
when used as a general purpose grease, i've found that cal's tends to pick up water and harden.  that's why i've stuck to yamaha marine grease.  cal's is limited to drag washers. 

This oservation gives me a little more confidence in my technique of using a light film of Cal's inside of lever drag chambers when they have seals to keep.the water out, and in drags of course. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

caveirex

Hi Alan, hi guys,
just got some grease from Yamaha today, but the Yamaha dealer here in Portugal told me that in Europe this one is the substitute for the old "blue" one...this one is light brown...
Can i use this grease in my reels? Is this the right one? I can't order from US, to much expensive due to custom costs.

Thanks in advance

johndtuttle

Quote from: caveirex on April 16, 2015, 10:43:33 PM
Hi Alan, hi guys,
just got some grease from Yamaha today, but the Yamaha dealer here in Portugal told me that in Europe this one is the substitute for the old "blue" one...this one is light brown...
Can i use this grease in my reels? Is this the right one? I can't order from US, to much expensive due to custom costs.

Thanks in advance

Don't over think it. If it is grease with marine additives it will protect your reel. We just have our preferences having tried all kinds of stuff. There is nothing magical about Yamaha blue lube. It just has the right properties of consistency as compared to some we have tried. It's not too thick or too thin.

Any marine grease will do.