Yamaha Grease

Started by GuyA, January 05, 2011, 10:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

To bad Cal's is so expensive. Accurate uses it everywhere in their reels. This's what I'd do if it weren't about $8+/oz.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Hear is the Hypo. Grease gun I have found in the Barn...................Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

nelz

Quote from: Gfish on July 29, 2018, 04:10:42 PMTo bad Cal's is so expensive. Accurate uses it everywhere in their reels. This's what I'd do if it weren't about $8+/oz.

Really? Good to know 'cause I'm doing that on a couple of my best reels, but wasn't sure it was a good idea.

davidshelton

I live down in Nicaragua, Central America, and work on my own reels but there aren't too many grease options but there is a Yamaha outboard dealer! However, I found some generic "made in USA" blue "hi temp" marine/bearing grease but it does seem super thick and on gears makes my Daiwa spinners noticeably tighter than original. It also goes green with time from the ice blue colour. I see people on here mentioning mixing the grease with something else to make it lighter. What could I use to do that, that will be available here? (ie something automotive).
cheers

alantani

david, you should be good as is. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

davidshelton

Thank you for the replies. There aren't exactly many tackleshops/reel repair around nor really many fishermen! I have to ship literally almost everything down pretty much. I use Cal's Universal for my drags. Can't seem to find the Daiwa 555 on ebay. Also that Blue Penn grease seems to wash/run really easily and doesn't seem to hold up very long in a drag in this heat here.

orsteelheader

Keeping this thread slowly moving along...

Is there a specific reason why Yamaha Marine Grease couldn't be used for a Carbontex-based drag stack? I'm onboard with protecting the metal surfaces and gears with it but I've been using Cal's on the drag stack. Reading through lots and lots of posts, I haven't seen this addressed before. For the price and convenience, using just one product would simplify maintenance a little.

Thanks,
Jay
Enjoy the ride!!!

RowdyW

For one thing Cal's contains teflon. It's what Cal developed for carbon fiber drags.        Rudy

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: orsteelheader on February 14, 2019, 03:34:19 AM
Keeping this thread slowly moving along...

Is there a specific reason why Yamaha Marine Grease couldn't be used for a Carbontex-based drag stack? I'm onboard with protecting the metal surfaces and gears with it but I've been using Cal's on the drag stack. Reading through lots and lots of posts, I haven't seen this addressed before. For the price and convenience, using just one product would simplify maintenance a little.

Thanks,
Jay

'Using just one product would simplify maintenance'
Yup I totally agrree - that's exactly why I only use one teflon based marine grease for everything. The one I use is a British made product - no shipping problems :)
https://www.smithandallan.com/products/industrial-grease/4640-smith-and-allan-teflube-plus-2-grease/

RowdyW

Dupont also makes a Teflon based Marine grease. It's almost identical in color to Cal's. I bought a one pound can for $7.00 & it's available here in the USA.           

Darin Crofton

Quote from: RowdyW on February 14, 2019, 11:46:00 AM
Dupont also makes a Teflon based Marine grease. It's almost identical in color to Cal's. I bought a one pound can for $7.00 & it's available here in the USA.           
Rudy,
What part of the reel are you using the Dupont grease? Good results so far? Thanks!
Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

RowdyW

Darin, I just use it for the drags the same way I use Cal's. I find no difference in preformance compared to Cal's. I use Penn Blue or Yamaha Marine on the rest of the reel. I just bought a 1 lb can of Super lube to try out on my reels but not for the drags. It seems to be a little thicker then the Penn or Yamaha. For the drags I'll stick with Cal's or Dupont Marine w/ teflon.              Rudy

Reel 224

Rudy: Were is it available, could let us know?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."