Reflective Material Options

Started by Mac53, August 19, 2015, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac53

The cooler storage area that we have is on the top deck of the boat and therefore in direct sunlight.  I am looking for a reflective material to wrap a fiberglass cooler in with the hopes of directing the sun away.  There are many options on the web but I thought I would post this up and see what forum members might suggest. 

Thanks,
Mac

Reel 224

Quote from: Mac53 on August 19, 2015, 12:00:35 AM
The cooler storage area that we have is on the top deck of the boat and therefore in direct sunlight.  I am looking for a reflective material to wrap a fiberglass cooler in with the hopes of directing the sun away.  There are many options on the web but I thought I would post this up and see what forum members might suggest. 

Thanks,
Mac

There is a reflective material used in sub fill material when pouring basements, it comes in rolled sheets and has a insulating factor that will help reflect heat as well as cold. The name of the material doesn't come to mind but if you go to any good building supply they should be able to help you.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

SteveL

I don't recall the name, but I was having trouble with 5 gal bait buckets and larger bait tanks getting too hot in the summer sun.   I used  the aluminum/bubble wrap insulation that they sell in rolls at lowes (typical use is stapled to rafters in the attic).   It is at least a quarter inch thick with aluminum foil on both sides.  I used reflective duct tape to tape it into a cylinder and attach the top.  Worked better than I expected, and each one lasted all summer of heavy use.  Not very pretty, but it reflects a lot of sunlight.

I googled the stuff:  It is called Reflectix Reflective Roll Insulation.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13353-56291-ST16025_0__