TUTORIAL: ABU 6500 C3

Started by BigT, January 07, 2011, 12:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Quote from: ountida on October 12, 2012, 06:19:40 PM
My worm gear on my 6500c3 need to replace because it is rotate to the right and won't move back. Should I get the original c3 worm gear kit or should I go with the c4 worm gear kit?   I see castaway website sell the 6000 worm gear kit which has 2 bearing.

What are the con and pro?

Thanks

Hi,,, it may be the line pawl, not the worm. If the worm is out, clean and dry, check both ends for irregular wear and brass showing through the chrome at the crossover points.  Check the line pawl for excessive wear on the crescent... if so, the pawl cannot make the turn at the end of the worm.

ountida

I have 2 reel.   One of them have 2 brake block, now this reel have the regular washer. I got the new carbon washer for it.

On the other reel it has 6 brake block, but the washer look different. This look like the carbon washer except the small 4th washer look like a regular washer, the other 3 look like carbon to me. 

Can I grease this with cal grease since it is dry(2nd reel), or throw it away and buy the new carbon washer for it?

BTW, the washer on the 2nd reel look like new to me.

ANy help or advice would be appreciated :)

mhc

Back to the level wind - It's usually (for me) a worn level wind  pawl that causes problems. If your second reel is an abu level wind, try swapping the pawl from the reel that has the working level wind into the problem reel. It takes a few minutes to check and costs a few dollars for a new the pawl if it is the problem.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

spiderpig

I know this is a really old post, but what are the bearing sizes on the 6500 C4? It the roller bearing available and what size is it?

Ken_D

Quote from: spiderpig on January 16, 2014, 11:17:28 AM
I know this is a really old post, but what are the bearing sizes on the 6500 C4? It the roller bearing available and what size is it?

Hello. A C4 already has the one way needle bearing (1)  Then 2 ea- 4 x10 x4 bearings in the spool (2&3), and finally one ball bearing on the non geared end of the worm 3 x 7 x 3 (4).  The one way clutch bearing is available seperate. It's normally located at aftermarket vendors, as it needs various tools to remove and re-install, so Abu does not show it as a part for the round reels. Hope that helps. KD.

PS: Mikes Reel on the north side of the 49th parallel  has made up a very nice tool for this.  Decent price as well.
Which see: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/bearing-extractor-installer-p-114106.html

Tgr23

sorry to pile in on this old thread also but I've been wondering about the Instant Anti Reverse Bearing as well.  Any advice on how to clean it (i'd rather not order the tool if possible) and what grease to put back in there?  Same as for the gears? 

Also I assume this tutorial is good for my 6500 CT sports Mag.  Is that correct?
Thanks,
Travis

To just clean a still working IAR you have to be cautious to not damage the plastic parts of it with a cleaner that will react to it. Some use mineral spirits some use gas but only with a moistened tip of a cotton swab. Just lightly rub it across the exposed IAR while its still in the sideplate.  Only oil lightly, never grease it. I use Corrosion X or Inox oil.  Many of the tutorials on this page of the forum display and talk about maintaining various Ambassadeurs with IAR's and can beof great help to you

Ken_D

Sidebar: check the boss on the side plate that the iar is in. With aggressive hooksets, it can be either loosened, or torn right off.  Also, check the sleeve for a dark grey band in the center, and dents from the needles of the iar.

Progressive repair depots will have the tooling to re-affix the boss, rather then sell you a new side plate.

Tgr23

Thank you so much.  After a deeper look on the website I was thinking about taking it out but if I can do it in place I'm going to go that route. 

steelfish

I have a 6500c3 that I love
I only use it for shore fishing, and with my local shore fisheries which dont get bigger than 5# or 8# at the most I havent feel the need to upgrade to carbontex.
I know new drags will give me 5# more on average, but does that upgrade is really noticeable on this reel?

if I have 5# more and by chance I need to use all the new total drag will the structure of the reel be strong enough ?

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Upgrading your reel's drag is not necessary if your reel had Abu ' s Carbon Matrix drag system already installed. 

Upgrading the drag washers is not intended to increase drag pressure but to ensure a smooth drag.  Jerky drags lead to break offs or broken leaders.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 10, 2015, 03:12:21 AM

Upgrading the drag washers is not intended to increase drag pressure but to ensure a smooth drag.  Jerky drags lead to break offs or broken leaders.

Gotcha
The Baja Guy

Slazmo

Just a little tip with Abu Ambassadeurs...

Buy a 1mm or smaller drill bit and drill a weep hole at the bottom of each side plate to allow water to drain out..

Main killer of Abu's is water sitting in the bottom of side plates - dissimilar anodic reactions!!

Steve-O

This tutorial was a great assist on tearing mine down and finding the issue with it. The Pinion gear yoke was kapoot!  The spool bearings were also a rusty mess. So i cleaned and greased everything and reassembled while waiting for parts. Bearings were salvageable drag washers are stock originals so maybe a yoke, washers and bearings, plus a new handle or power knob. Both handles on mine are wallowed and floppy from heavy carp angling.

Surprised to find the bellevilles in this (( configuration instead of this. () when I opened it up. Maybe I had it open years ago and had no clue back then. Still wonder about that....but I do know how bellevilles go nowadays.

The weep hole in the side plate is an awesome tip. Drilled those while I had it apart.

Noviceman

Hi...Newbie here and looking at this tutorial and dont see any pictures...just numerous squares saying Please update your acount to enable 3rd party hosting and something about photobucket???    Do I need to do something to view the pictures?   Many thanks for info