ABU Revo - after long use in saltwater

Started by Jon_Kol, August 25, 2015, 09:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

Quote from: ReelClean on August 26, 2015, 09:43:38 AM
Have you got the LHS sideplate off yet?  In my experience that is a task without munging up the plastic.  I have seen a few almost as bad, but I think you get the gold.

Funny you should ask.. the LHS doesn't have a stain on it on the inside. Really strange. It came right off when I gave it a turn, and apart from a little salty touch along the edges, it's as good as clean. Imagine that..

Jon_Kol

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 28, 2015, 05:26:51 AM
Looks great so far Jon!  ;)

Are those bearings salvageable?

So far it looks like the owner has been lucky. The IAR sleeve was seated very tight against the IAR, but without being stuck. This had probably worked as a form of barrier against the saltwater and thereby also against corrosion - the IAR had very little discoloration and the pins move nicely. I even got the Brake Knob bearing to spin nicely after cleaning it with a few nice fluids that we have at work, that don't damage plastic, rubber, metal etc. So I'm hoping for the best. The true test will of course be when the reel is put back together, hopefully it will feel and preform well.

A little sidenote - there was so much crud inside that the dog had actually been lifted off and was laying next to the gear. :D Undamaged, luckily.

Jon_Kol

And thank you all for the positive comments. :)

handi2

I seem to get many reels like that and they do usually clean up to live again. Sometimes they look great on the outside but like this on the inside.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jon_Kol on August 28, 2015, 07:32:02 AM
Quote from: ReelClean on August 26, 2015, 09:43:38 AM
Have you got the LHS sideplate off yet?  In my experience that is a task without munging up the plastic.  I have seen a few almost as bad, but I think you get the gold.

Funny you should ask.. the LHS doesn't have a stain on it on the inside. Really strange. It came right off when I gave it a turn, and apart from a little salty touch along the edges, it's as good as clean. Imagine that..

With no drain holes the LHS do remarkably well it seems. It's pretty well sealed when closed up. Also, most guys set the reel handle side down, and when they rinse they introduce water into the gear box through the thumb button holes (conversely protecting the left side). Just a possibility.

Abu has said that their High Performance Corrosion Resistant (HPCR) bearings are really corrosion resistant, if that pinion bearing survives I am impressed.

Jon_Kol

What I'd give for a Shimano-style C-clip on the opposite side of the reel frame, and just a quick solution right now..

The Main Gear Shaft is utterly and completely stuck, the underlaying bearing being the guilty part, I guess. I've had a go at it for some time now, but I've soaked in various liquids and I'll let it sit until tomorrow. Hopefully something will find its way down there and ease up some of the corrosion that is holding the bearing and shaft.

This one might be a tough cookie to fix if it doesn't ease up, it is reeeeeaally stuck in there.

Steve-O

Boil it!  :o. Then freeze it!  ??? Then boil it again.... ;D.  Sautee it in goof off and break free...Should taste great when done ::).

Just some out of the box ideas. ;)

Reel 224

You are working miracles so far. Keep up the good work.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jon_Kol on August 28, 2015, 08:45:15 PM

What I'd give for a Shimano-style C-clip on the opposite side of the reel frame, and just a quick solution right now..

The Main Gear Shaft is utterly and completely stuck, the underlaying bearing being the guilty part, I guess. I've had a go at it for some time now, but I've soaked in various liquids and I'll let it sit until tomorrow. Hopefully something will find its way down there and ease up some of the corrosion that is holding the bearing and shaft.

This one might be a tough cookie to fix if it doesn't ease up, it is reeeeeaally stuck in there.

This is a bit of a sticky wicket as it were...the bearing is usually held on the end of the Shaft by an E-clip so the bearing has to come out to remove the shaft.

It will come out, it is a question of how much time you have to soak it in a penetrating oil and do the regular hot/cold cycle thing. Vinegar soaks may be ok....but I don't know if the Abu finish is up to that...Unfortunately the bracket that stabilizes things is in the way of your efforts too. :(

YOU CAN AND MUST DO EET.  ;D

Every tutorial I have ever done emphasizes this as the problem area in all of these reels that use the same system of housing a bearing in a natural "sump" for salt to sit in.

Shark Hunter

Reminds me of the sand trap, but I didn't struggle as much as you are.
We are cheering you on. You can do it. ;D
Life is Good!

SteveL

Quote from: Jon_Kol on August 28, 2015, 08:45:15 PM

If you suspect that the stuck part is due to rusted steel, you might try a product called Evapo-rust, which is a non-acidic chelating solution that dissolves iron oxides while leaving non-oxidized iron intact.   It seems to have no effect on nonferrous metals and plastics, so long soaks are possible.  It may leave some black material where the rust was, and that is the carbon that used to be in the steel.  (Corrosion X makes a similar rust remover). 

Evapo-rust will do absolutely nothing to help remove corrosion from brass, aluminum or other nonferrous metals, so if it isn't rusty steel, it won't help.

After a good soak, you could go back to your other penetrating liquids, or maybe try one of the freeze off sprays like Loctite Freeze & Release (http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797940809729)

alantani

i have a frankford arsenal rotary tumbler.  i'll bet 3-4 hours there would fix it right up!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

:D I bet it would shine it right up!
I reach a point where its coming out in one piece or in pieces.
The right method will win. Just have to think it through. ;)
Life is Good!

Jon_Kol

Ooooooooh yes...

A lovely mix in the end - various spraycan lubes, protective oil spray, anti-corrosion spray, freezer + hot water, and repeat..

But I believe that the most important component was the one I thought of using after seeing that I could not "attack" the bearing from any side, due to that it is sitting fairly deep in its place, plus that bracket really made it annoying not being able to really get to it.

So after looking at various tools etc, I decided to go for a tool that has helped me a lot - a scalpel. Not one of those crazy sharp ones, this one has seen it's fair share of harder materials. But the tip is thin and sharp enough to slip between really tight corners and rims. I worked the tip of the blade carefully around the entire visible section of the bearing, and each time I was able to remove small amounts of crud and stuff. Then after pulling, pulling, pulling and puuuuuuulling some more, suddenly I was convinced that the bearing had moved. That was enough inspiration to give it a few more pulls, and *POP* there it was! What a lovely feeling hehe! :D

Here's a pic showing some of the stuff that was around and underneath the bearing, looks kinda like tiny flakes of silver.

Thank you all for your comments and support, it's really nice to refresh the topic posted here and see so many replies.