Pro Gear's PG251 and PG255, and Penn's Jigmaster 505HS and 506HS

Started by Bryan Young, January 08, 2011, 05:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Based on the size of the washer, I don't think that the top metal washer would have a sufficient amount of flex to distribute the pressure to only the center of the top carbon drag washer instead of the entire surface.  If in doupt, you could always use the original thicker keyed washer.

bevels - There are a lot of theories behind these when used in start drag reels, an unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to know the physics behind it all.  I do know that without the bevels, I can set my drags to 1# when I let my daughter use the reel, 3# when fishing for halibuts, 5# when fishing for rock cod, and up to 15# if needed (but usually stay around 12# max), and that is without bevels in my reel.

On my PG441, I've crack 2 bevels already and just eliminated them altogether.  When cracked, it acts as a spacer and has little function, so it was just taken out and replaced with another stainless steel washer.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, or relieves your anxiety about using the reel without the bevel.  If it doesn't, I recommend decreasing the height of the spacer based upon the height of the bevel, which I have done to a Penn 113H because the change in the drag stack.  Hmm, come to think of it, I could have removed the bevel on the 113H...oh well, what's done is done.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

We can call them bevels, cupped washers, belleville and more , these are tension springs. I hear a lot of "not needing them", I personally wouldn't  go without them, all of my reels have them and I intend to keep them that way. If it works for you guys without them, great. I just don't see how you can gradually increase the drag , I also believe that they help distribute the pressure on the washers more evenly. Just my opinion!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Just had a PG251 that opted for the 5+1, but unlike my reels, I added a belleville (the original came with a wave type tension washer and I don't like those because many of them rust) for a jigmaster to follow Sal's recommendation.  I hand to shave about 4 mm off the height of the spacer and works wonderfully.  Though you guys might want to know.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Yeah, I know I have to take apart my PG255 to show my drag stack, but I just added another thing to my PG255.

It's Alan's SS arm and Pete's Spinner Handle.   The spinner handle is found here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=158.0

Here the comparison pics:  

If anyone is interested in this set-up for their jigmasters, PGs 251/255,..., let me know.  $36 for the arm with the spinner or 2/0 handle or $40 for the arm with the 4/0 handle, and $46 for the arm with the 6/0 handle.

redsetta

Nice reel Bryan - might need to upgrade my 282 handle now I see that ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

That's a nice looking handle Bryan. I wonder if the machinist that he uses could come up with something similar for the handle on my SS spinners. Great craftsmanship.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Hi Justin,

Unfortunately, the PG262 has a different mounting hole than the PG255.  So the are will not work on your reel. :(

Bryan

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hi bryan! will the arm with  spinner handle fit these reels; PG 541, CS 550, 112H and 113H? thanks!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Mel B on July 30, 2012, 02:32:59 PM
hi bryan! will the arm with  spinner handle fit these reels; PG 541, CS 550, 112H and 113H? thanks!
Sorry Mel, I though I responded with my phone, but I guess it didn't accept.

The arm with the spinner handle will fit the 112H only.  Alan has http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=156.0 that will fit the PG541 and Penn's 113H.  I think Alan some SS ones that I will post later under a different heading so not to detract from this subject.

The CS550 uses a different gear sleeve altogether.  I haven't had a chance to compare it to other reels out there.  The securement opening is the same for the Albacore specials, Wahoo specials, and all CS series reels.

Bryan

Meanwhile

Bryan Young

Photos are back up.  Probably an issue with PhotoBucket.

Keith K

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 10, 2011, 05:55:55 AM
Here's the drag configuration:

Here is the SmoothDrag Configuration:

Five #18 Carbontex, 0.5 mm thick (Center was bored out to 11 mm ID)
    Three Keyed Washers, 0.9 mm thick
    Two Eared Washers, 0.9 mm thick

The original washers were:
    Three HT-100s, 0.8 mm thick
    Two Keyed Washers, 1.06 mm thick
    One Eared Washer, 1.06 mm thick
    One Bevelled Spring Washer

The new SmoothDrag configuration should fit in the normal jigmaster main gear with the remaining 2 washers (keyed and carbontex) sitting above the edge of the main gear.  This will not be an issue since the eared washer is engaging the main gear.

Good stuff!

Does anyone have the part # for the Bevelled spring washer shown here in Bryan's post at the top of the drag stack?  I can only find the tension Spring washer (8-60) which is not the same thing.

Thanks, Keith

Bryan Young

Hi Keith, unfortunately, I don't have a part number. The Belleville is 10.25x20-23x1.75 mm if that helps. I may need to order a bunch from McMaster Carr for these instances. Let me see if I have an extra one.

Alto Mare

Bryan, I also need to order some, do you have the actual numbers from McMaster catalog? Maybe on your receipt? Thanks!

Keith K

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 19, 2013, 01:58:41 AM
Hi Keith, unfortunately, I don't have a part number. The Belleville is 10.25x20-23x1.75 mm if that helps. I may need to order a bunch from McMaster Carr for these instances. Let me see if I have an extra one.

Right on Bryan...I'm working on a few, so if you find the #, that would be cool.

Thanks!