Fin Nor ST30 Purchase/Take Down - Updated

Started by coastal_dan, August 26, 2015, 02:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Anybody fishing one of these?  I saw the post about the ST50 and looks like a fairly solid reel.  The ST30 can be had for $75 shipped brand new on a few different sites.  Looking at the schematics, I like the 10 stack drag, the double pawl system, the aluminum frame is cast (but at least it isn't graphite), aluminum spool, STAR DRAG!!, the low 4.1:1 gear ratio, also the harness lugs connect to a ring that goes around the entire frame on both sides...lastly comes with a 2 stage handle, speed or power.

I think adding one of Alans handles and a little grease this could be a sweet piece.  It looks like it could hold around 650 yards of 55 lb braid for bottom bouncing.

They say it is a competitor of the newer Senators...both made overseas...

There are obviously other choices (some better) out there, but your thoughts for $75 and being used a few times a year?

Tight Lines all!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Rancanfish

I just googled it.  I'd say with your experience, and doing a pre-service, how could you go wrong?  I've spent $75 bucks on lesser reels.

You could do a tutorial!   :D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

coastal_dan

True!  I just wish it weighed a little less than 35 oz, but hey, beggars can't be choosers  :D

Funny, I collect Penn, but I use Penn, Accurate, and Fin-Nor.  I'm thinking (just like with investments) diversification is a good thing  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Three se7ens

A buddy of mine has a ST50.  Hasnt seen much hard use, but it was on my recommendation.  I really dont see where you could go wrong with the specs and price point.  I could do a break down on that one, but it probably wouldnt be anything new.  Its pretty basic, and quite solid.  Keep the line and drag numbers reasonable, and it should do quite well. 

coastal_dan

Sorry for not responding sooner Adam- I really appreciate the input.  Finally pulled the trigger on this reel today.  Looking forward to drilling out the handle for a 6/0 AlanTani Handle but leaving the rest alone.  I can't wait to take it apart, haha.
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Ok, got it in and for $78 shipped new in the box, I'm pretty happy.  She is pretty heavy at 33 oz, but built like a tank!  Everything is "thick".  These are just some out of the box photos so now take apart pictures yet... ::)  That will be a cold January night job :)

A couple things I noticed off the bat...

Cons:
-It has two tools that are provided for maintenance/disassembly...Obviously one would be better.
-The ergo knob is 'ok' but I will be ordering a 5/0 AT handle for sure.
-The internals are kind of loud, upon disassembly I hope to quiet it a bit (then again the SS gears in my Jiggy sound like an old 12 valve Cummins ;D)

Pros:
- Built like a tank from the outside
- Nice bigthick drag star
- Drains are built into the rings/side plates
- The handle is adjustable (I automatically put it out to 'Power'
- The Gear sleeve looks impossible to round over...(picture of that to come at a later date)

On to the pictures!

Here it is compared to a Penn 4/0...

And the reel on it's own...

I really like the drains!

Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Alrighty...waiting for this baby I figured I'd tear down this new 'gal...Pretty interesting...these 'Pawls' definitely aren't like 'dogs' they are two very thin pieces of stainless above and below a stainless 'gear engager'.  Huge drag disks, giant main and pinion.  The main is separate from the gear sleeve with a bearing above and below.  Also, not a whole ton of grease...but there is now :)  It's late so this may sound like rambling but I really enjoyed this reel take down, can't wait to fish it.

Happy New Year Folks...

Lots of photos.... ::)

A very interesting tapered Pinion...

Yeah, I know the handle is missing...I cut it off (quite the chore actually).  A 5/0 AT is in the mail heading to Philly  8)

Dan from Philadelphia...

Alto Mare

Dan, I couldn't think of a better way to keep my mind occupied.
That reel appears to be solid, I'm wondering why it is so cheap to purchase.
The plates are a different color from the frame, are those aluminum as well?
I can tell they're cast...not a good thing, but should still hold up if fished within it's specs.
Nice job showing the inner parts.

Sal

Adam, it's ok if someone else has already done a tutorial, we encourage guys that have never done one here ;). On that note, show us what you got.
It could be you fine tuning your handles, stars, or anything like that. No matter what it is, we would love to see it ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Hey Sal - machined alum. spool, cast aluminum frame, graphite side plates and stainless harness lug rings.  Lastly, the main is bronze - neat how the eared washers sit in the slots of the main.
Dan from Philadelphia...

cbar45

Solid reel, lots of stainless, it's too bad they got discontinued...I own an ST-50, haven't caught anything that would really put it to the test, but I'm happy with how it's holding up...One of the tabs that connect the anti-reverse pawl to ratchet was a bit loose, so I carefully pressed each end back together...A very light coating of thinned grease and good to go..

sharkman

Costal Dan, great tear down. I had opportunity to purchase one when tackle shop was going out of business, but the guy that ran the store stated the drag were different than the penn. He never could explain exactly what he meant. Just that you couldn't lock them down like you could the penn reels. After this may have to add one to the collection.

gstours

Thanks for posting all the pictures, this reel has a lot going for it for sure. Hope it catches you some reel nice fish too!
   When you get time, can you show the fastener on the free spool lever.  it looked like it had a flat cap over where a screw or nut would be.   Maybe you access it inside the end cover?  Seems a bit different and hope its not cast alum with a couple of tiny flat sides that might crap out easily.  Sometimes different is good!

Just curious?   

coastal_dan

GS - Take a look at photo #6 down if you are counting from the top, there is a stainless head with a 'phillips' fastener deboss.  I didn't dis-assemble this but maybe I will next time, Fin-Nor did add grease on the outside of lever so I left it alone...

Ok - Added Alan's handle...feels amazing (Well done with these Alan)...crappy cell phone pics follow  ::)

Dan from Philadelphia...

handi2

I ordered one on eBay and didn't hear from them for a while. They emailed and told me no more 30's so they sent a ST50. This thing is big..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

I checked out their website and it looks like the ST's have been replaced with the LD 20 and 25, I think another fellow above stated they were discontinued.  The 30 is big to me, so I imagine the 50 is huge!  Let us know what you think once you tinker with it a bit.
Dan from Philadelphia...