steve from australia - 8/25/2015

Started by alantani, August 26, 2015, 09:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

steve from australia - 8/25/2015

a guy from the website send a pm a couple of months ago.  he said he would be in san francisco for a couple of days and was asking for a recommendation for a good charter boat.  "well, come fishing with me!" so yesterday morning, my neighbor, jeff, and i drove north with the boat, and my friend mel picked up our australian guest in san francisco and we met in half moon bay. 

meet steve forbes from canberra!

steve's driver, mel, had a slow start but started catching big fish when we hit the "big fish" locations.  in addition to some ling cod, he stuck a 6 pound vermillion, and one vermillion that bottomed out my 8 pound scale.

and jeff ended up with a bunch of nice fish, including this vermillion and the biggest ling cod of the day.

had a pretty good take today!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Lingasaurus!

The warm water is really driving them inshore. Probably best Ling fishing in my lifetime right now. :)

Steve-O

A fine cooler of fish! Glad to hear the good report.

From another Steve...

steelfish

great pictures and another great report from Alan, showing us what kind of good person he is.

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Great Job Fellas!
Alan, I have to ask. Why do you guys wear those orange pants and suspenders?
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 26, 2015, 11:30:03 PM
Great Job Fellas!
Alan, I have to ask. Why do you guys wear those orange pants and suspenders?

lol

Because the Ocean is commonly in the mid-50's (the high in San Francisco yesterday was 64 and 10-15kts of wind in August) and rough seas are the norm in the North Pacific. It's a cold water fishery, not like Southern California. It's pretty much the same as fishing Alaskan waters in August (just never rains).

Grundens are warm, waterproof and hose off to get clean. Standard commercial fisherman work gear.

Here's an SST link so you can see all the cold water influencing our fishery (in fact it is unusually warm this year but you can see the 55-57 degree water from the cold currents we get. usually it is right on the beach).

http://www.tempbreak.com/index.php?&cwregion=cc

Shark Hunter

I thought it was always warm in Cali?
Forgive me for my ignorance, I just wondered.
I only fish the Gulf of Mexico from the beach.
Nothing needed but shorts and a Muscle shirt. ;D
I fished the bay in San Diego some 20 years ago.
I wore the same attire. ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

it can get pretty cold, but most of the time a light sweatshirt does fine.  the problem is the fish slime, blood and guts that get splattered all over the boat.  i am constantly hosing down the cockpit before this nasty stuff has a chance to dry.  it takes 10 times longer to remove once it dries.  also, no one is allowed into the vehicle with fish slime on them.  i use the same vehicle for family vacations and the wife would never tolerate the odor of rotten fish.   ::)
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on August 27, 2015, 01:22:35 AM
it can get pretty cold, but most of the time a light sweatshirt does fine.  the problem is the fish slime, blood and guts that get splattered all over the boat.  i an constantly hosing down the cockpit before this nasty stuff has a chance to dry.  it takes 10 times longer to remove once it dries.  also, no one is allowed into the vehicle with fish slime on them.  i use the same vehicle for family vacations and the wife would never tolerate the odor of rotten fish.   ::)

hmm... maybe it's why i'm divorced...
good fishin alan!

stevef

Hey Guys,

Steve here.

Big thanks to Alan for organising the trip out for me and for Mel going out of his way to give me a ride to HMB.

A great day out with 3 good blokes and the fishing was a nice bonus. Great to experience the US way of catching a feed of fish.

Thanks again.

Steve

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Alan: Thanks for your American ambassadorship. Not many people would entertain a complete stranger and treat him that way.  You folks from outside of the USA take note, that is the welcoming American way.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on August 29, 2015, 02:18:45 PM
Not many people would entertain a complete stranger and treat him that way.  You folks from outside of the USA take note, that is the welcoming American way.  Dominick

We try to be "family" here....  I even know someone that put up a derelict from Oregon on his way home. ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mel

Quote from: stevef on August 29, 2015, 12:00:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Steve here.

Big thanks to Alan for organising the trip out for me and for Mel going out of his way to give me a ride to HMB.

A great day out with 3 good blokes and the fishing was a nice bonus. Great to experience the US way of catching a feed of fish.

Thanks again.

Steve

Hey Steve, it was as much fun for me as it was for you! Except for me waiting at the wrong hotel and forgetting my jacket at home it was a flawless time!