Baja Special fix just for future reference

Started by steelfish, August 28, 2015, 06:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

there was an issue on a Baja Special reel from another member here in this thread

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9771.0

this was the OP question on 1st post.

Quote from: Lbctermite on February 12, 2014, 08:14:15 AM
Hey guys,
    New to the board but been using this site to work on reels.  GREAT tutorials and information.  However, I just ran into a small issue and have no idea what this is about.  I adjusted the right side of my reel to get more leverage and easier access to my freespool switch.  Several of anglers that I know said it's better this way.  However, when I reel hard and stop the handle, it makes a clicking noise.  I've even switched it back to stock.  I have no idea how to stop this and been tearing my reel apart but no results.  here's a vid of it. 

then after many answers and comments seemed like this was an almost normal behavior, I even made this post on the page 3
Quote from: steelfish on June 22, 2015, 08:02:56 AM
glad to have find this thread, I just serviced a Baja Special that does the same weird thing of the loud clicking noise when you suddenly (abruptly) stop the handle after turning it fast and strong.
uff thanks Alan

buuuuuuuuut, that wasnt the end of the story for this reel, the guy I serviced the reel came back telling the that a fish took his lure and the Baja kept giving line on the fish with rattleling/clocking sounds until got engaged and could get the fish on the boat, on the next fish same thing happeded and then he decided to stop using it and bring it to me.

when I serviced the reel I didnt saw anything wrong or bent inside but since those symtoms I had to open the reel again, once again everything looked ok there, but surely it wasnt, but it was until many hours of searching and looking that I opted to open my own Baja Special to check and compare each part looking for a bend, broken or missing part on my friend's reel.

whis was what I found.

(excuse my lack of technical lenguate) the stock Baja Special eccentric jack have bigger "legs" or humps that looks pretty sturdy while the ones on the stainless steel jack that was on the reel (can be found also when looking for 113h eccentric jacks spares) are a small bent metal cut whith one end "floating", Im pretty sure they can work equal whn new but after some use the legs on the steel eccentric jack will try to flatten up and that will make the spool and the pinion to dont engage as normally, while the stock eccentric jack (which by the way is the same on the 113h and the baja special) those legs are pretty sturdy, bigger and reinforced and will never bend

on these next pics the right leg is already deformed which it was the culprit of the problem, once I put the stock eccentric jack (taken from a 113h spares I had) the reel is acting as expected, no more spool spinning if you suddenly stop the handle

now this reels is ready to go back to fish on a charter boat as loaner reel and go after big baquetas, big leopard bass and YT here in Baja
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

yeah, i can see how this would make a difference!   nice work!!!!!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

thanks guys, this is nothing compared to what I have learn from all of you.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Quote from: steelfish on August 31, 2015, 11:04:08 PM
thanks guys, this is nothing compared to what I have learn from all of you.

Steelfish, Alex you have hit the nail on the head.  Most members don't contribute much but when they find a problem and solve it like you did and pass on the information it makes this site great.  Thanks for passing that on.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

I was just playing with one of my reels the other day, (not a Baja), and it was doing the same thing.  It does bug you.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Reel 224

Thanks Alex nice job diagnosing that problem and passing it on to everyone. *****  ;)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 01, 2015, 02:50:52 AM
I was just playing with one of my reels the other day, (not a Baja), and it was doing the same thing.  It does bug you.

You can check pinion, spool and eccentric jack for something damaged
The Baja Guy

scharebear

Can this be considered normal as stated in other thread? I have 2 new US Senator 113N which do make this noise but have not had problem when actually fishing.

steelfish

what kind of noise and on which moment do your hear it?

The Baja Guy

scharebear

Exactly like the video from the original thread referenced earlier in this thread. Just spinning the handle quickly and stopping, spindle continues to spin briefly and makes noise.

steelfish

well, for sometime I though it was normal, but it was until my friend caugh a big fish then the reel couldnt stopped but the problem was that this reel seemed to have 5# drag at the most and the grinding noise was present while the line was getting out the reel.

another culprit could be your left side bearing that could be to "open", the spool should have a minimal play .

the way to check this play is to put your reel in free spool and try to move the spool sideways, its there are a lot of play then than could be de cause of your problem.

tight the left side bearing all the way until you feel not play at all, then just back up the screw a bit util you feel a play but minimal, after that try to repeat the steps on where you have this noise.

that exactly noise happens on my 113h if the left side bearing its not tight.

The Baja Guy