big boy senator inserts: second batch

Started by Three se7ens, August 29, 2015, 04:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockyR

Yes, I noticed this picture which led me to believe mine needed a thick.

I was wondering what holds the insert sleeve from migrating outward?
Just a millimeter slip would expose the bottom drag?

Maybe I should add a small bit of epoxy between the inside gear and outside sleeve to be safe?

Shark Hunter

Rock,
When you get that thick washer. I set mine up so there is a small amount of drag with the star backed all the way off. That way the insert and washers can't move out of position.
Most of my inserts are a snug fit, so they won't move anyway.
Life is Good!

RockyR

I thought it may needed to be pinned or glued.

Just tension on the drag can stop the insert from moving outward?

RockyR

Looks like I can use a punch to peen the top of the gear just to be safe.

Shark Hunter

That is a good point Rocky, I never really thought about the insert itself moving.
If I am using one in a 14 or 16/0, I replace the main with stainless.
These fit perfect and the insert is flush with the top of the gear.
Not that it is necessary, it is just how I do it.
Adam has been constantly improving these. The majority of mine are a snug fit in the gear.
Meaning I will literally press fit it in the main gear with a hydraulic press instead of filing the insert to fit.
I will mix and match gear sets to find the perfect fit.
You could also shim the outside of the insert with some thin aluminum sheet to make if fit snug.
Life is Good!

RockyR

Mine fit perfectly with no resistance.

I have the original bronze gear so a small peen should be easy.

handi2

In his case another Delrin washer on top would be fine even after the thick metal washer is back on top.

On the 6/0 and 9/0 reels I put one under the main gear, on top of the drag stack, and another under the drag star. This is with using the insert's.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

twotone

I installed one in a 10/0 and I like it.
twotone

Shark Hunter

Personally,
I think this is the best upgrade for big senators.
Rocky makes a valid point, its obvious he is serious about his reels.
However, it is not a concern of mine.
Just because I make sure my inserts are tight in the gear and maintain pressure on the stack.
Steel gears or stainless are my preference over bronze in this application.
I don't think there is a strength issue with the bronze, I just think the final fitment is better with the inserts.

Life is Good!

twotone

Rocky I used SH, Sal and Tightlines post to place mine in the reel.
It was a big help working on the drag stack.
It escapes me where the post are.
I hope it has worked out for you.
twotone

RockyR

I peened the gear to lock the insert in place.
I guess my caution comes from witnessing a lot of harmonic balancers come apart during the 80's.  8)

Washer worked like a charm.
Thanks Adam!

Drag is great!

Army_of_One

Quote from: RockyR on January 26, 2016, 05:42:04 AM
I peened the gear to lock the insert in place.
I guess my caution comes from witnessing a lot of harmonic balancers come apart during the 80's.  8)

Washer worked like a charm.
Thanks Adam!

Drag is great!

I haven't installed mine yet, but wouldn't some grease(graphite maybe, for the different metals) help with keeping the insert in?  I also was wondering if it wouldn't be an issue on the smaller plates without side accessible drags since the plate stops the drags from coming out?  I just don't see peening a steel gear as an option for myself.  Thank you for the AAR though.
Another day in Paradise!

RockyR

When the outer hardware was removed I tipped the reel over and the insert easily fell out into my hand and the drags remained on the gear shaft.

Of course there was no drag at that time.

I don't know absolutely if slight pressure on the drags will keep the insert permanently in place so I peened it.

I do on occasion remove all drag pressure.

Not sure how much outward travel other reels have but my 14/0 had no plate to hold it from moving.

I felt that you never know what could happen when everything heats up as a big shark peels off line.

Army_of_One

I just did a 9/0 with steel gear and Adam's inserts.  The insert was a little loose sliding in and out of the gear, so I was worried about what you had brought up.  I left the insert out to assemble and test the dogs on the side plate.  I tried to put the insert in from the handle side.  The ears prevented it from going into the side plate.  I looked and can see where, at least on the 9/0, the gear almost touches the plate.  I don't think they will slide in this particular model, as I had to remove the bridge plate to install the insert.
Another day in Paradise!

Jakejames

I'm new on here but I started hearing through the grape vine about how great these up grades are. I'd like to make an order if I'm not too late. 2 sets of 16/0 8stack if possible and 2 sets of 12/0 8stack also. Feel free to message me on here! Thanks and glad to chop it up with some penn senator guys!