Plug build's and updates.

Started by STRIPER LOU, August 30, 2015, 05:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Normally my plug builds are late fall/winter but I ran out!!!!
I know there are lots of people interested in these so I've been testing some plug blanks made by an outside source and they look very good.

The idea was to save some time and money so they could be made more readily available. It does save some time, though not as much as I expected. Sadly the cost has almost tripled. I have an open order with a club to build  10 doz a season and have been supplying them for over 10 yrs now. I probably make another 30 or 40 for myself, family, and freinds and that's about all I can handle along with my other lures,  bucktails, and projects. Even with supplied blanks I can only do a coupe dozen a month as they are very time consuming. Sealing is extremely important because if its not done properly the plug absorbs water and it changes the action! Action is Key.
The overall quality and finish is very good but I don't have a proper spray booth. That said there may be a spot of dust or a minor paint blem from time to time. The paint area is my cellar hatchway with drop cloths, and a heater/ fan and that's about it. They are basement builds, period. Here are some pics of the last batch. All are not completed and still need testing and adjusting.

The testing and adjusting is done on a 36" spreader bar with a master plug on one side and the new build on the other. At final its tested by itself. Plug colors are old school colors that work but MOST importantly these plugs CATCH fish!!!!!! Its the only reason I keep building them.
I'm still looking for other alternatives but as of now this is all I've got. I'm going to be ordering a few dozen xtra blanks and if time allows I will PM the people who had interest. At this time nothing is definite and still considering other sources.

The plug pictures below are after sealing, primer coats, plug colors, and 2/3 coats of epoxy and on the drier.
The last plug pictured logged 117 fish on it so far this season. Its beat! I rewired it twice and put on a couple of new bucktails and replaced a few hooks. Even though the finish is shot the plug has not absorbed any water, I'm still using it and its still catching fish. There you have it!

STRIPER LOU

Last pics. Sorry, got to get with photobucket. The bottom plug is the one that has tagged 117 fish!

Reel 224

Lou: I am waiting to order one of these plugs as soon as they as available.

This is the one I am interested in.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

These are wood and fished top water?

STRIPER LOU

Hi Dave, They are wood. For me nothing beats a big ole wood plug! The ones shown are made to fish in the mid to lower water column. The Danny styles I've made are from the great Danny Pinchney and they are the surface type swimmers if that's what your looking for.  A slow retrieve makes a V wake on the surface and the fish seem to love it! I like to add a bucktail with a long flash tail piece. The wobble motion of the plug gets imparted to the bucktail and really adds to the action.

Picture the plug going in one direction and the bucktail going in the other.  Kinda gives it a tight S motion so to speak!

David Hall

The spoon on the nose takes them to depth while trolling?
I imagine your striper fishing with them. 
Interesting I need to learn more about this technique.
I've cast plugs in freshwater bass fishing and I recently picked up a big rapala saltwater plug that runs 25-30' depth on the troll.

STRIPER LOU

You are correct Dave. If you were to bend the lip up it will make the plug dig deeper. Bending the lip down makes it run shallow. Some guys bend the eye instead but I don't like to do it that way as it can weaken the thru wire. Although, bending the lip has to be done correctly and has to be kept straight so the plug tracks properly. I've used them on a bunch of different fish (east coast) including tuna.
I prefer to troll them on SS wire or monel and even leadcore as I know exactly where the plug is as far as depth is concerned. I fish a lot of structure, rock piles, kelp beds etc and need to know I'm in the strike zone. Big plugs definitely work! I wont leave the dock without a box full.

David Hall

How cool is that? I'm learning a whole new kind of fishing I never tried. I might have to try it out just to see how I can do with it. 
Thanks Lou

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Those plugs are beautiful!  Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I am going to flatter that 117 fish plug for my personal arsenal.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho