Tiburon Frames for Penn

Started by Bryan Young, January 08, 2011, 08:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldtrackster

so would silver be the same price?
Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Today was a good day - so I thought I'd share...  ;D
I received my Tiburon frames on Friday (1 x Jigmaster and 1 x 113H narrow), plus a Kolekar for my Tani-ised TLD15 and a Penn Powerhandle for the Jigmaster.

The TLD was first up, as the handle is the last step in the hot-rodding process.
It already has greased Carbontex and TT40A bellevilles.

The Kolekar is beautifully engineered - it's now the benchmark in my opinion.
The Tiburon upgrades were simple and fast.

Both Penns now have S/S gear sleeves and yokes, plus greased Carbontex drag (5+1 and 3+1 respectively).
Now it'll be a Kolekar for the 113H and high-speed gears (when I can find 'em).
Panama has done me a huge favour and sorted Newell gears for the Jigmaster, which are hopefully a week or so away.
I also had a mate's 113H to recondition, so I did that at the same time.
The bakelite had swelled and split the outer rings, so out came the Dremell.
(PS Thanks for the replacement rings Dave.)

Last cab off the rank was a standard 113 (belonging to another mate), which was in fairly average shape.
And here's the result of a rainy Sunday:

I couldn't be happier - cheers Alan!  ;D ;D
(One question, though: The gap between the spool and frame is fairly substantial. I assume this is an intentional design element, but thought I'd check - what do you think? Also, given the above mods, is 50lb mono still the recommendation?)

Next up is this nice little Avet.

If it hasn't been done already, I'll put together a rundown and pics this week.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

very nice!  i have a grip that fits on the avet arm.  would you like me to send you one?  oh, and a stainless steel gear sleeve for the black side plate 113.

redsetta

That'd be great, thanks Alan.
Might as well include a Kolekar for the Tiburon 113H as well...
All the best, Justin

Alto Mare

Very nice Redsetta, I love those low profile frames. About the gap, it appears to be too much, I hardly have any gap on mine. Usually when the plates have swollen that bad, it's time to toss them, but if you're able to use them, that's great. This is a stupid question, but here it goes anyway, check if the left bearing is screwed in all the way, sometimes it feels tight but with a little force it goes down some more. If that doesn't work you might need to shim the bearings. I hope I'm wrong but your plates might have something to do with it :-\. Good luck to you, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Nice work for a rainy Sunday, Justin. I like the look of the silver frame with the red side plates. I may have to get another Jigmaster so I can make it narrow. ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Cheers lads.
Thanks for the suggestion Sal.

oldtrackster

Where did you pick up the S/S gear sleeves?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

alantani

oldtrackster

thanks Mr. Tani,

currently working on a terminal degree and classes are keeping my busy.  about ten days I will have a short break and start tinkering, you have gear sleeves for 114HLW?

broadway

Hey Justin,

Man, you hit the ground and started running when you were born... you skipped the walk phase.  I like the jump in head first process, too! Keep it up
Dom

alantani

Quote from: oldtrackster on July 25, 2011, 09:22:48 PM
thanks Mr. Tani,

currently working on a terminal degree and classes are keeping my busy.  about ten days I will have a short break and start tinkering, you have gear sleeves for 114HLW?

i have four.  got them from electramate!

redsetta

Cheers Dom. Gotta get 'em into some fish now!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on July 26, 2011, 04:53:26 AM
Quote from: oldtrackster on July 25, 2011, 09:22:48 PM
thanks Mr. Tani,

i have four.  got them from electramate!

Hello Alan, could you put one of those sleeve on the side for me? I'm actually just heading down to Florida for a week, we'll have to take care of it when I get back and you also. Thank you! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.