penn jigmaster help!

Started by fishhawk, September 02, 2015, 01:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Mornin men! 'ol dummy here again! (once you feed an old dog he always returns!) I have a jigmaster 500s that the right side plate rings will NOT quite line up! They start fine, turns, but won't turn all the way! It likes about 1/8" lining up with mounting screw.It's not dirty, doesnt seem to be bent, just wont turn far enough, I've tried with or without grease, even used my rubber mallet a little.Please help before I smash it with my hammer! lol Have any of you'll had this problem? Should I just get another ring?

Rancanfish

As I look at the pic, I believe you have a stock jigmaster. Look at the part # on the ring.  It says 2-250n.  I was told by an Ebay'er that they fit jigmasters.  As you see they work, but barely.  That is the surfmaster 250 ring I think.

If you lift the screw up as you turn with a grippy rag or rubber jar grip, you can get them back together.

I have brand new ones, (2-250n's), sitting in my stash for that reason. I hate fighting that sideplate, and won't.  The right part # is 2-500s if it was indeed a 500s.  I just looked on mine.

If it is a regular 500,  the part # is 2-250. No 'N'.  Many of mine have no # marking on them at all.
If I had an extra I'd give it to you, I understand the frustration.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Rancanfish

We agree. The part # is 2-250.

I have both ring styles in hand.  I do not have any Surfmaster 250's to take  apart to confirm what I was told by the (unnamed  ;D) Ebay dealer. Their description says it may be a tight fit(in a 500), in so many words.

Reel 224

Penn as far as I know doesn't make a SurfMaster 250 but I could be wrong ??? Try doing what MeL B  suggested in his first post about leaving all screws loose and adjust the plate.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

fishhawk

i found the original ring I will put on it in a little while and I will let the world know!

Aiala

Um... I'm a bit puzzled here. The 500 'S' Jigmaster has the mounting screw on the tail plate, not the handle side. The photo above shows a standard 500 handle-side ring...   ???

That said, I have run into this exact same problem before. Sometimes a bit of grease and determination can solve it, but other times it's just a no go. Seems to me I read somewhere that older rings occasionally don't line up with newer plates, vice versa, etc. It can be pretty frustrating.  :P

I've got a leftover ring which I'd be happy to send you if you would like to try it. Not new, but maybe it would fit? Let me know if you're interested.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rancanfish

Joe, do an Ebay search and you can buy one.   8)

Mel, look at the first pic.  See the number?  Optical illusion?  ;D

Reel 224

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 02, 2015, 02:53:13 PM
Joe, do an Ebay search and you can buy one.   8)

That's nice But I haven't heard of a Surfmaster 250 before and I was wrong I guess :-[ I stay away from sleaze bag e-bay.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

fishhawk

Ureka!!! Your right ran! A 250n does not work, the 2-250 ring works fine! Thanx to all! And thanx for the offer Aiala! Now the world is a better place!
case closed!

Rancanfish

Glad it worked out and I could finally help someone else!

The jigmaster is my favorite reel, I have 14 of them. 500s, Accurate 501's and 506's, Accurate and Tiburon 500, and 'plain' 501's and 506's. And one full Accurate 501 from Vintage Offshore Randy.

Funny thing, I just looked to see what gears I had in the Tiburon 500 and had a booger of a time getting it open. Guess what? 2-250n ring!!!!!  Darn it, now I have to work on another reel.

reelrepair123

hi  randy       i worked on  2 jigmasters today, thanks to your posting i had a nice day, i also was tired of fighting with those rings, filing the slots deeper so they would fit , but unfortunately the chrome would come off,  so  today before i assembled the ring on the right sideplate, i pryed off the inner ring and made sure it spun around so the thumb screw would screw into the hole, then inserted it back into the outer ring using my calipers to align the holes, no fighting, it was a nice day, thanks for the heads up, you made my day and future days.   harryk

reelrepair123

randy,  also for some reason the  29m-250 spool wouldn't work properly in the jigmaster i built, i had to use a plastic 500 spool and it worked fine.   penn did make a surfmaster 250    ''  reel  224 ''

Rancanfish

Glad it was helpful Harry.  Good to see you keeping on those reels!

Not sure what you mean by the spool wouldn't work properly?  I have always had good luck with the chrome spools.

fishhawk

I suppose many people in need of shiny used rings go to fleabay, where they purchase a 250n thinking it would fit a jigmaster.
14 jigmasters huh Mr. randy? I've been an abu fan for over 40 years i guess but allways had a couple of 500's layin around but never used them, so I found this place while back and it was on! I got the fever perty bad! I know have 2 tib's, 2 accurates, 3 newells! haha and these were purchased/built in  the last year! I'm very in love with my penns! Some have to have the drink,some women, me?....let me play with my penns! I just now discovered "skinny" penns! The little humped up bobcat looking thangs! Randy do you cast your's?

Reel 224

Quote from: reelrepair123 on September 02, 2015, 09:35:38 PM
randy,  also for some reason the  29m-250 spool wouldn't work properly in the jigmaster i built, i had to use a plastic 500 spool and it worked fine.   penn did make a surfmaster 250    ''  reel  224 ''

Thanks.