Megalodon Filet Knife

Started by David Hall, September 11, 2015, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

David, Nice Work!

For something different, this folding hunter has fossilized mammoth tusk ivory scales. 

The rest is titanium with an SS blade.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

Beautiful Fred, that's what I'm talking about. I hadn't thought of fossilized bone, is it still legal to buy opposes here in the calistani government?

steelfish

The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

Hey Dave, the problem with stone is most of it will require a diamond wheel to work it and plenty of water. We have a couple of local guys here that fashion a lot of stuff from granite scraps, some of it pretty amazing! I'll ask around and see what I can find out.
Have a great evening!
.......................lou

RowdyW

Marble usually has a lot of figure to it. Turquious (however you spell it) is nice too.

MarkT

Looks great Dave, how does I'd on fish?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

TomT

David Hall

Quote from: MarkT on September 12, 2015, 03:30:39 AM

Just finished polishing it today and my boat is down for repairs so I don't know how it does on fish yet.  But I can tell you it makes a hell of a watermelon slicer!

David Hall

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 12, 2015, 01:21:28 AM
David, as a fellow knife cutler I appreciate and enjoy your work  :)

Thank you TB. I'm just learning.
Now I have someone here I can seek help from for this hobby.
Hope you don't mind if I wear out your PM's?

Tiddlerbasher

Newell Nut

Quote from: David Hall on September 12, 2015, 06:42:55 AM
Quote from: MarkT on September 12, 2015, 03:30:39 AM

Just finished polishing it today and my boat is down for repairs so I don't know how it does on fish yet.  But I can tell you it makes a hell of a watermelon slicer!

Melon slicer of fish dicer, you have a great skill. You did a really pretty job with that one. A friend of mine is a master of the trade  and builds with some unique items but I can't testify to the legality of it but there is a lot out there for you to choose from. You could join some knife forum and ask around for legal parts.

David Hall

Join another forum?
I don't think so, I have enough to keep up with here,  Bryan got home yesterday from his 8 day trip and I haven't found his pics yet?
I have a good friend in San Diego that has been making knives for some years, I get to consult with him when I hit a snag.  I'm not going to do much with knives I don't want to make them for sale or anything.  just trying to keep myself occupied while I wait for reel parts!

STRIPER LOU

Dave, thanks for the heads up on woodturningz.com. I think they have a better selection than my supplier. The only downside is the blanks are square and have to be turned on a 4 jaw chuck. Not a big deal, just a bit more time consuming. Shipping prices seemed more than fair also.
Thanks again,  ..  Lou

Steve-O

Quote from: David Hall on September 11, 2015, 11:37:33 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 11, 2015, 10:42:32 PM
Very nice job Dave. I like your line about aged wine, that how we usually relate it our wives, unfortunately for some, at times that wine turns into vinegar ;) ;D.

You might be the one to ask a question I have had for awhile,
I have been toying with the idea of using gemstone for a knife handle.  
I chose to work with this combo of Acrylic, brass and horn on this particular knife for a couple reasons.
One it should be pretty weather and water resistant, two it gave me the chance to work materials other than wood, but I'd really like to try stone, I know it's a great deal harder to work than anything short of stainless steel, so I'm wondering if there is any fancy grained stone you might know of that can be worked by hand that might make a colourful unique knife handle?

Very nice craftsmanship on your jumbo fillet blade/ sword.

Here is a website with fancy stones.
http://www.stoneartsofalaska.com/sculpture.htm

Gary is great to work with and I have many pounds of his inventory.

He packs up and leaves Prince of Wales island AK in the fall and heads back to Bellingham, IIRC.

The link acted buggy with me a time or two. If so, just google stone arts of Alaska with Gary McWilliams, proprietor.

The stingray coral makes very nice knife scales as does the honeycomb fossil coral.

Steve

Rancanfish

Quote from: David Hall on September 12, 2015, 04:00:53 PMI'm not going to do much with knives I don't want to make them for sale or anything.  just trying to keep myself occupied while I wait for reel parts!

Whaaaat?  I'm crushed.  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.