New to internationals..anything I should know?

Started by Sharkin904, September 12, 2015, 10:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

Just picked myself up a new in box 50sw at a pawn shop for cheap, any weak points or important upgrades I should read up on? I know it's a good reel, just curious if there's any good upgrades available. Thanks guys!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

No upgrades really needed for this reel. If you are using it for Shark fishing you can rearrange the Bellville washers for more drag.

I would surely do a service on it being it came from a pawn shop.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Make sure you service the two speed mechanism, and don'T over grease it.  You also need to sync the gears with the antireverse on this model in order for it to shift properly.  The instructions should be posted under the left plate cover.  Make sure to replace any bearings that show any roughness after cleaning, and pack non spool bearings with grease.  I also like to replace the Belleville washers, and any worn clicker parts (ratchet plate, and/or pawl).  If you end up ordering any parts, I would get a few 0.3mm shims as well so you can shim the drive or spool shafts as needed. 

Check out the tutorials in the International section, and don'T hesitate to ask questions if you run into any trouble.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.