114H/115 insert drag kits

Started by Three se7ens, September 15, 2015, 03:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

This invention is the best thing since sliced bread for these Senators.
Smooth as silk and better drag numbers.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Yes, these are great and Adam has been doing amazing things for us, but, we must give credit to the man that started it all. That man is Doc
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6203.msg52156#msg52156
He does some amazing work. Thanks again Doc for showing us how its done.

I will always be purchasing Adam's inserts, they will always have their place.
We will soon have something even better.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

After the order I already have at the cutter, Im changing the material for the insert.  The 114H sizes in particular are problematic, in that I have to machine the material to thickness before having parts cut.  The stainless than Ive been using is terrible to machine, and doesnt cut very nicely on the waterjet either. 

I have a few options, and Id like to hear some input on them. 
304 stainless - current material.  soft and not particularly strong.  Very difficult to machine.

7075 aluminum - stronger and harder than 304, and easier to machine.  costs about the same, but less resistant to corrosion.

360 brass - same hardness, but a little stronger compared to 304.  slightly higher cost($1-2 per kit), but good corrosion resistance

c954 aluminum bronze - harder and stronger than 304, very corrosion resistant.  higher cost ($3-4 per kit). 

17-4 PH stainless - the hardest and strongest option, machines better than 304, but still not easy.  Similar corrosion resistance to 304.  higher cost ($2-3 per kit)

Personally, Im leaning to the 7075 aluminum.  Given that the drag stack will pretty much stay greased, corrosion shouldnt be an issue.  And 7075 aluminum is readily available, machines well, and is very strong, stronger than mild steel in fact.  Its harder and stronger than 304 stainless, but it machines easily. 

Im going to have a few samples cut for Sal to test, but Id like to hear other opinions as well.

RowdyW

I think that the 17-4 stainless is the way to go especially if it is going into stainless gears. The weight saving of aluminum is minimal. Stainless matches up with everything we are putting into these reels. c954 aluminum bronze as a second choice,

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 09, 2015, 12:54:19 AM
Yes, these are great and Adam has been doing amazing things for us, but, we must give credit to the man that started it all. That man is Doc
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6203.msg52156#msg52156
He does some amazing work. Thanks again Doc for showing us how its done.

I will always be purchasing Adam's inserts, they will always have their place.
We will soon have something even better.

Sal

Thanks for remembering, Sal.
Time is fleeting and memory short on the internet; it takes a man like you to remember. I appreciate it; thanks.

Shark Hunter

Thank You Doc for letting us reap the benefits of your ingenuity. ;D
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

Thanks again.

It may not be as great as Jonas Salks, but it is at least an altruistic contribution toward the betterment of things, and seems to have spawned a little cottage industry all of its own.

Rothmar2

Definite Kudos for Robert on this.
With the impending arrival of The Tank, I'd better man up my 6/0.
I'll go a kit for this next run.
The 17-4, or aluminium bronze sound like the pick of the bunch to me, for overall longevity of the inserts.
I feel your pain over the machining of stainless, but feel its worth the effort.
I'm happy with any marginal increase in kit price/change of material used.
Thanks for making these available again Adam.

handi2

7075 Aluminum will do just fine.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

BMITCH

Adam, I'm sure whatever material you use will be more than up to the task. Just installed my first 113H set and these are awesome. Can't wait for these.

Thnx,
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Three se7ens

Quote from: WOTHoyt on December 15, 2016, 10:14:12 PM
I'll be needing one of the insert packages with an extra set of CF discs for a 114H.  I would like one of your 2 hole offset crank arms and I need a 5/16ths handle hole. If you have a bigger drag star for the 114 I'll be needing one of those as well. I made this request in a couple of other venues and they're all the same except this one with the drag star.

1 drag insert 114H (steel main)
1 2 hole offset crank arm (long and strong)
1 oversize drag star (I have stubby fingers)

Hoyt

I do not have those handle arms available yet, it will be January before I can get to making them.   As for the drag stars, I do not offer them to fit the 114h or larger reels. They use an obscure thread design that I cannot get a tap for.

I do have the insert kit and extra cf washers ready to ship though. See the first post of the other thread for info and pricing.  Pm me with your email address and I will send you a PayPal invoice.

Gulfshoresangler

Do you have any of these insert kits for a 115l?