Which One To Keep

Started by SoCalAngler, September 25, 2015, 11:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Oops I should of also stated the C has no reel clamp.

But the C model does have a better reel foot.

MarkT

Again, any G over any C, or S for that matter. The C's had the poorest quality with the poorest SS parts. Tunacious's history of Newells is here re-posted by ez2cdave and stickied and you should make sure to check it out.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bluefish69

"S" series with Bearing Cups aren't to bad. I just received one today.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

MarkT

Yeah, the later S models weren't too bad but I'd still take a G.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on September 26, 2015, 03:29:31 AM
Again, any G over any C, or S for that matter. The C's had the poorest quality with the poorest SS parts. Tunacious's history of Newells is here re-posted by ez2cdave and stickied and you should make sure to check it out.

Thanks Mark,

Do you know the lady in the pic on the thread you said for me to look at? I am almost 100% sure thats Beth from a tackle shop I use to work at, she did the books and such.

If I'm correct that pic was about 2 years before Carls passing. I loved talking to him about reels and life, he was truly a person I try to emulate is cretin ways.

MarkT

Cretin ways? Or did you mean certain ways? Either might fit with Carl! 😀

Alto Mare

Quote from: MarkT on September 26, 2015, 04:28:49 AM
Cretin ways? Or did you mean certain ways? Either might fit with Carl! 😀
:D :D..there was nothing stupid about Carl.

Mark, if I were you, I would keep both. Give one to your son for his birthday ;), unless someone has already grabbed it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That is exactly what I did yesterday. I had two pristine 300H's in the box with the Alantani treatment I purchased from a member here. They had the old Hot Dog Handles. He loved it.
Life is Good!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 26, 2015, 05:17:33 AM
That is exactly what I did yesterday. I had two pristine 300H's in the box with the Alantani treatment I purchased from a member here. They had the old Hot Dog Handles. He loved it.

SH if you did not see this thread is about Newell reels. I'm just wondering why you think showing and telling us what you did with some Daiwa's helps in anyway. I'm not trying to flame you and think what you did was great but lets please try to stay on track.

I pretty much know what I'm going to do now and with all the input, it confirms my thoughts.

Thanks guys for your incite.

Alto Mare

Mark, i personally don't see any harm in Shark Hunter's comment, he was simply reinforcing my comment above.
With that said, yes, it is always a good idea to stay on track, when possible.
Now back to your Newells, just make sure you let us know what you've decided to do with them ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

russ1962

I have a 1'st and 2'nd generation G220 and love them both.
It's very, very close, but I think I may like them just a little better than my P-series 220's. ;D
I don't own any C-series so I can't comment on those.

Newell Nut

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 26, 2015, 01:59:20 AM
Newellnut,

If you look at the G reel I did swap the click button to a SS one as well as the other changes....well the other two.(oops I should of said the other one, the ss click ring) Thanks for your input here.

Now I have to look around for a ss jack lever, time to dig through parts again....lol

I have not bought one of these yet but they have the knob replacement for the plastic jack at ulua junkies.
http://uluajunkies.com/assets/jack_ss_knob.jpg

SoCalAngler

NN,

Thanks for the heads up as I did not find one in my junk/parts pile. I don't think I will even go to the trouble of buying one. The G looks like the day it came out of the box and that's good enough for me to fish.

The C will find a new home.