12/0...How do you guys measure the drag??

Started by Sharkin904, September 30, 2015, 10:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

I feel like I must be doing it wrong...because the number is too high in my opinion. I'm pulling line right off of the reel, tied to a luggage scale that measures peak weight. I keep pulling until it clicks..80lb momoi, and I'm getting like...60-70lbs. Just seems way too high to me.

Shark Hunter

A stock 12/0 with a new Carbon fiber 7 stack should start slipping at right around 30 lbs. You have an insert in there?
Life is Good!

Sharkin904

Nope, all stock. I think the scale might be crap. $8 Walmart scale lol

Shark Hunter

That ammo can weighs 30 pounds. 80 pounds would snap the rod. This 12/0 has an insert kit.

Life is Good!

Sharkin904

Well, I put the new washers in the 12/0, added an extra metal one to take up space...rigged it back into my scale and I get 38-42 every time (15+ times). I'm still hesitant to believe my scale, but it's reading much more believable numbers now. 6/0 is 26lbs, and my Diawa 450H is 20ish. All numbers seem within reason. Not sure what was going on to get 65-70 every time though. Real head scratcher

Shark Hunter

Those numbers are in the ball park. Spool it with straight 100lb mono. It should hold close to 1000 yards.
A 200 to 400 yard drop is usually good in Florida when fishing from the beach.
Life is Good!

Lowprofile

With brand new washers and an extra SS one I get over 50lbs before fully locked down.
I bottomed out my 50lb spring scale and didn't bother to lock it down all the way and test with a 100lb digital scale. I set it at 35 off the top and fish it that way.

steelfish

Quote from: MeL B on October 02, 2015, 02:39:23 PM
Quote from: Sharkin904 on September 30, 2015, 10:43:46 PM
I feel like I must be doing it wrong...because the number is too high in my opinion. I'm pulling line right off of the reel, tied to a luggage scale that measures peak weight. I keep pulling until it clicks..80lb momoi, and I'm getting like...60-70lbs. Just seems way too high to me.

when i'm doubting my scale i put the same weight (in litres of water) and confirm that my scale is not b!@#_s$%^&*!g me. :o ;) :D ;D

PEACE

thats the same thing I do, except I use some dumbells, thats a nice tool cuz you can add as many weights from 1lb, 2lb, 5lb and have an accurate meassure of the drag without a scale.

now I use those dumbells weigths more for the setting the drag on the reels that to exercise myself  :-[ :-\
The Baja Guy

Sharkin904

Haha I was looking all over for something I knew how heavy it was to confirm the scale works but no luck lol