Penn 850 SS bail question

Started by Shimano Penn, October 05, 2015, 06:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shimano Penn

Hi all, found this site via Bloodydecks, hope to learn a lot here.  Years ago I had a collection of the original Penn SS series reels, still have my 750 now over 20 years old and in perfect working order.  Recently I found an 850 at a swap meet, it's clean and functions well except for one thing, the bail flips over too far and can interfere with the handle.  Comparing it to the 750 it's easy to see it's just not stopping where it should.  Can't find anything obvious like anything loose.   Any thoughts on this?  Hoping for an easy fix :)

foakes

Welcome, SP --

Typically -- just bend the bail wire slightly back into position -- enough to clear the handle when rotating.

This is the most likely cause of your issue.

Post some pics, if possible.

PhotoBucket or our site is easy and free to do this with.

Let us know how it goes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

99% of the time the bail wire gets bent on these reels. Either from transporting or dropping in the boat.

Also if it doesn't flip over crisply and hard like they should it's because they are bent. With the line roller screw out the bail wire should line up with the bail arm perfectly. If it doesn't you have to bend it and get it just right.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL