Slow Jigger for big rockfish and lings

Started by jcool3, October 06, 2015, 01:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcool3

This 3.5 oz jig allows me to combine 3 commonly available elements.
Looks great in the water.
On top #35 or #45 golden bait octopus skirts
Add terminator quick skirt (silicone) or any umbrella silicone skirt below it and upside down.
Twist on wire center pin to hold various soft plastics
Add hook
Poured the jig in my homemade silicone mold.

Steve-O

Nice jigs! what would you guess your price per piece comes out to? I want to make some Lucanus style Octo-jigs and the originals are spendy, IMO, but then all butterfly, knife, etc, jigs are.

jcool3

Quote from: Steve-O on October 07, 2015, 03:04:18 PM
Nice jigs! what would you guess your price per piece comes out to? I want to make some Lucanus style Octo-jigs and the originals are spendy, IMO, but then all butterfly, knife, etc, jigs are.

I just used what I had around .... some black bass skirts and soft plastics.  The most expensive item
may be the golden bait octopus skirts which retail for $8 per 6.  Some cheaper alternatives exist like
p-line.  The center pin spring are easy to make with .022" stainless wire.   Do-it brass sinker eyes #2.
Terminator quick skirts cost about $1, but you  can find them for 1/2 the cost.

I have a mold for lucanus style head.  I think there are some youtube videos including some guy in
europe making them.  Most expensive item is the long silicone? trailers.  He makes those from balloons.

Especially if you lose many to snags, it would be worth making.  Lucanus is fairly easy to make.

jcool3

Here is a 6.5 oz. slow jerker.  I am in process of adding silicone mold making primer for those
interested. Hook shown is experimental, I will probably go with big treble hook on a trailer.

broschro

I make these out of 2 to 6oz trolling sinkers and assist hooks with a glow hoche skirt. I have caught a lot of different fish with them. 39# cobia was the last victim.

kmstorm64

Must come back to this thread when I get home to steal some ideas!  Thanks!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  I'm interested in the spring you use and have you changed the design any?   Tell us about the center rod/wire .  It's purpose and methods.    🙏 thanks

Gfish

Quote from: broschro on October 17, 2015, 08:32:25 PM
I make these out of 2 to 6oz trolling sinkers and assist hooks with a glow hoche skirt. I have caught a lot of different fish with them. 39# cobia was the last victim.
Trolling(banana shape, right?) sinkers are great for lure making. If the fish targeted are large enough, why not dress-up your trolling weight to look like a bait-fish. Some paint, a perm. marker, a skirt, glue-on eyes, and the hook arrangement.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

I like the balloon idea for trailers.....good stuff....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!