Ted Williams/Shakespeare Sea Wonder 2091

Started by mike1010, October 06, 2015, 07:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 29, 2017, 07:38:01 PM
I like your spring adaptation, Mike.  :) Probably quite a bit stronger than the original.  I wonder, though, if a single strand "G" string would accumulate less dirt & grit. Just a thought. I save the 3 worn out high strings for similar situations. Used an "E" sting to replace the wire on a boiled egg slicer once and a "B" string to replace the wire on a cheese slicer. The quality strings don't rust.  ;)  Making parts from scratch is fun and rewarding!  8)  

That's funny Tommy...I actually wanted an unwrapped "G"...but didn't have a single one lying around. I convinced myself the bronze wrapped "A" string would be more corrosion resistant...HA! Seriously though, the home brewed spring is working great. Thanks for the praise. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Decided this dinosaur would be my best choice(of what I own) for casting Got-Cha jigs and spoons off the pier. I filled it slap full of 20lb. pink Ande, and it will launch a 1oz. weight 75yds. with just a toss. That's the rod it came on when I bought it at the auction for the massive sum of 2 bucks, it's a 7'6" MH cheap glass blank, perfect for the pier. I'm even leaving that sale ticket hanging on there...just to annoy everyone on the pier while they're untangling their $300 combos. :D

Midway Tommy

Cool! Good luck, Mike! Have a great time!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Quote from: mo65 on June 02, 2018, 04:00:26 PM
   ... I'm even leaving that sale ticket hanging on there...just to annoy everyone on the pier while they're untangling their $300 combos. :D

Ah, mo65, you're heartless.  But, it sounds a little fun.

Frank

Chuck750ss

Quote from: mo65 on June 02, 2018, 04:00:26 PM
   Decided this dinosaur would be my best choice(of what I own) for casting Got-Cha jigs and spoons off the pier. I filled it slap full of 20lb. pink Ande, and it will launch a 1oz. weight 75yds. with just a toss. That's the rod it came on when I bought it at the auction for the massive sum of 2 bucks, it's a 7'6" MH cheap glass blank, perfect for the pier. I'm even leaving that sale ticket hanging on there...just to annoy everyone on the pier while they're untangling their $300 combos. :D

Way cool!

festus

Those 2091A are prettier than the earlier 2091.  Good luck, Mike.

mo65

The 2091A preformed like a champ! My "geetar string" AR dog spring never missed a beat...get it? :D I popped the side plate off and everything looks good...no visible corrosion...how long does it it take to develop? Obviously you can see I lubed it for freshwater use. I'm going to paint the whole inside with grease so it will be salt ready. 8)

basto

Great simple solid reel Mo. I LOVE IT! Reminds me of my recently acquired Ambidex 3fp. It too has a lot of steel under the hood.
cheers
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

happyhooker

In regards to Mike's post of earlier today, I hope this series of posts will remain on the site.  There is valuable info here, even with the pics missing.

Frank

George6308

Mo just a segestion wouldn't two coats of a product like Eastwood rust encapsulator or Rust-oleum Rust Reformer on the steel parts control the corrosion? Gun bluing is not corrosion proof. Gun bluing Is actually a chemical form of rust.
Then add your choice of grease.

happyhooker

For those who weren't aware, the photos to go with Mike's original post had gotten lost, and for a bit, it was thought they were gone for good.  Mike kept digging around, found the pics and got them back into his post.  I want to tip my hat to him for doing this.  The original post was a really good read, and a must for anyone interested in any of the Sea Wonders.  Even without the pics, a good one, and with the photos restored, back to topnotch.

Thanks, Mike!

Frank

mo65

I agree Frank, thanks Mike! This tutorial was very helpful when I tore into my 2091-A. I just noticed the latest "hostage" move by photobucket. My old threads that contain pics hosted by them have a badge across them...claiming their ownership...sheesh! Then if I click the photo it tells me my account is locked...and for 5 bucks a month I can get in...can you believe that?? They can go jab a hook in their finger! :D  When they eventually close that account I'll repost the pics, since I copied and saved those pics, knowing eventually they'd stiff me 8).

mike1010

You're welcome, Frank and Mo, and alantani.com.  I don't post tutorials these days, so wouldn't be a very good neighbor if I didn't at least maintain tutorials I posted in the past.  (This mess was caused by a mistake I made in evacuating images from photobucket.  Some of my other posts are also affected, or at least need to be cleaned of photobucket links, and I will be fixing those in coming days.)

Regards,
Mike

festus

Good to see the photos back in place, Mike.  I've only been on this site not quite 2 years and was disappointed I couldn't see the pics.  This is the most thorough tutorial I've ever seen for a Shakespeare spinner.  

BTW, I also have a similar reel, the Ted Williams 930.  It's a Shakespeare 2091A clone.