Metal polish

Started by Sandbar33, January 14, 2011, 02:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: boghy on November 30, 2011, 04:40:20 AM
A year ago, while i did some snorkeling i found a conventional reel, that appeared to be in the water for quit a while, full with sand, barnacles, rust u name it. The CLR worked excellent. Make sure you wear gloves though - the solution is pretty strong for bear hands.
Lets not give that CLR all the credit. If it's still working, it has to be a Penn......a US made Penn ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 30, 2011, 11:17:06 AM
Quote from: boghy on November 30, 2011, 04:40:20 AM
A year ago, while i did some snorkeling i found a conventional reel, that appeared to be in the water for quit a while, full with sand, barnacles, rust u name it. The CLR worked excellent. Make sure you wear gloves though - the solution is pretty strong for bear hands.
Lets not give that CLR all the credit. If it's still working, it has to be a Penn......a US made Penn ;D.
;D ;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

boghy

Actually, that was an Okuma Convector CN 30D - probably that's why the owner didn't want to swim for his reel and rod. Anyway, the reel was 80% recovered, needed new spool and few other small parts. For $30 in parts it came back alive.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

Irish Jigger

Recovered Penns are classified as "Treasure Trove" ;)

trout250

once you get the grease off the gears clr in an ultrasonic clr will make gears etc look brand new, it will eat most corrision off , then use dremel toll fitted with a wood arbor/skisk kabob skewer split with a fazor blade abd wrapped with a piece of cape cod polishing cloth or 4ought steel wool then cape cod cloth. you can polish to a mirror finish

Ken_D

Good tips !!!

WeyeFisherCO

I use POL polish on everything and it works great after you remove the heavy dirt.

[I also use it to clean electron microscopes]

It might be tough to find in some places, it's made in Germany by Hohn & Hohn GmbH

Tightlines

Eatmycatch

Sandbar ~ if you are just looking to upgrade your reel frame posts. There is this guy on ebay who makes stainless steel frame posts for a number of popular penns. His name is "fishingreel79". Go to his store, his frame posts fit perfectly as I have bought them for 3 different reels and the prices are cheap (actually comparable to the cheap chrome over brass prices), the threads are strong, the fits are right on the money and they never rust or corrode. He also makes various other parts handles and such.

He don't make spools however or stands, he does make stand locks but not the stands themselves.

Hope this helps you a little...did you ever notice the harder you scrub off that corrosion it keeps getting more brown looking? ??? That is the brass coming through the crome overlay, all that is happening is the crome is being scrubbed off and the brass is coming through...I say this not only to you in particular in case you already know this...there are probably other people reading these threads who are afraid to ask the question for fear of looking foolish, and this forum is about helping people and being kind to one another.

Regards,

Catch

Silent Hunter

fishingreel79's name is Tong (Tony) Nguyen and he is one of the "good guys". He accidently sent me the wrong frameposts for an Inter 30 and corrected his mistake instantly when advised and at no charge to me - told me to keep the wrong ones.
Silence is Golden

outdoorsaddiction

Have any of you guys ever used Brasso on your metals?  I use it on mine and it cleans and polishes very well.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: outdoorsaddiction on August 27, 2012, 12:20:47 AM
Have any of you guys ever used Brasso on your metals?  I use it on mine and it cleans and polishes very well.
Yep. Use it often without reservation.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Stuck

A cheap and easy way remove the green growth from chrome work is to scrunch up a ball of aluminium foil, pour a little bit of Coca Cola (the real stuff works best) on it and polish away.

charliep

I've had pretty good luck getting rid of gunk and mild corrosion on Garcia reel frames with Hoppe's #9 solvent. Let it set for a while and most of the gunk gets pretty loose. Scrub, rinse with naptha, etc. and polish with a good metal polish of your choice. Hoppe's works well on old dried grease too.
charliep

SteveA

Did anyone try Nevr-Dull? I think Eagle One is the brand this product is sold under. It comes in a metal can and is like cotton or wool with a chemical on it. I used Nevr-Dull to clean the surface rust on chromed bumpers and rims. It's pretty good - got the rust from brake dust off the chrome. I never tried it on reels but I think it will work. This product is non-abrasive so it will not scratch the finish. Just tear off a piece and rub the area you want to clean - just like when you polish your car. Wipe off the residue with a clean cloth.

Fullstrike

Try this stuff

SHEILA SHINE

Works great on both SS and aluminum.  Can be purchased on line or a local HD, Ace etc at a very reasonable cost.