Metal polish

Started by Sandbar33, January 14, 2011, 02:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandbar33

I have been fighting this metal corrosion cleaning issue and losing (lol). Tried vinegar, elbow grease, you name it......I am trying to get the reel frame clean and rid of this saltwater stain that seems to be baked on. Has anybody tried using a dremel and a good metal polish like Blue Magic or would I be just wasting my time? I am probably asking for too much but I am a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Sandbar33 on January 14, 2011, 02:33:32 PMI am probably asking for too much but I am a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff.
I would say probably asking too much.  But I'd say try it and let us know the results.  Please take pics before and after to show us the results.

Thank you,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phinaddict

You didnt state what type of metal you are trying to clean.  If it is chrome or aluminum, you do not want to use the Dremel. If it is stainless, you might try it but doing it by hand will yield better results.

If the parts are chrome, (like the base and bars of Penn reels), you might be better off looking at parts replacement.

Sometimes, what appears to be corrosion is just stuck on gunk. Always be sure to do a good solvent cleaning before you start on the corrosion.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Sandbar33

Quote from: Phinaddict on January 14, 2011, 03:14:14 PM
You didnt state what type of metal you are trying to clean.  If it is chrome or aluminum, you do not want to use the Dremel. If it is stainless, you might try it but doing it by hand will yield better results.

If the parts are chrome, (like the base and bars of Penn reels), you might be better off looking at parts replacement.

Sometimes, what appears to be corrosion is just stuck on gunk. Always be sure to do a good solvent cleaning before you start on the corrosion.

The reels are abu garcia 6500c3's.....I am guessing stainless steel?

Bryan Young

It is probably aluminum or stainless depending on the part.  Aluminum polish like mothers works great, working by hand.  If stainless, buffing will bring out the shine, but if the stains are deep in the pores of the metal, it could very well be permanent.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Sandbar33

This gunk is typical baked on saltwater corrosion..... and stubborn as hell (lol)

Fishead

Is this a stain or has the corrosion eaten into the metal?.if its eaten into the metal,you may get most of it but it may be too deep in the metal to get it all.I like a product similar to flitz but a lot easier to use & remove.It is a marine product called Star Clean,you apply it with a wet terry cloth or micro fiber cloth & polish it while wet,then rinse it off & wipe dry.....done.works well on all metals.put a coat of wax on after if you want some extra protection from the elements.beware,once you try it,you will find all kinds of things to clean & polish because it is quick & easy and works so well.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

alantani

yeah, unless it's stainless steel, it's pretty much a losing battle. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TimH

Would u guys advise using polish on the brass gears?

alantani

nothing.  even with a little corrosion, they work fine.

Sandbar33

As I started looking into the polishing thing I picked 1 reel to experiment with. It is a 6500ssc, my favorite reel and the 1 reel I am most in "tune" with. All I did was polish the inside of the pinion gear, the ends of the spool axle, the brake ring and the brass shims and you can tell a distinct difference in the smoothness of the reel. The axles in my opinion seem to be pretty smooth without polishing but the brass pinion and shims get gunked up easily as can the brake ring.

alantani

honestly, the answer is to take those old parts, strip off the old chrome and have them re-chromed at a shop that will do a decent job.  i have seen penn chrome literally peel off. 

codhead

Quote from: Sandbar33 on January 14, 2011, 03:31:32 PM
This gunk is typical baked on saltwater corrosion..... and stubborn as hell (lol)

Anything like this?

That's what I call salt corrosion
The older I get, the better I was

alantani

and people still ask why i grease the screws on the reel seat......  :-\

kamuwela

thats not too bad alan, ive had someone tell me that the grease causes corrosion. :-\