equipment support on a trip

Started by thorhammer, October 07, 2015, 04:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hey folks, someone may have aready done this, but I wanted to share a tip that worked well for me on a recent extended trip; this has to do with in the field gear maintenance.

I knew I would be fishing in demanding condidtions with every likelihood of salt and sand in / on equipment due to stormy conditions, so I packed a small gasketed plastic toolbox with some essentials:

- multitool: got A LOT of use. decided convertible screwdriver will be worth added weight due to ease of use.
-ziploc bags: bait, reels go in for transport in reel bag
-Penn wrench
-adjustable wrench: I use different brands of reels so dont have to take as many specific reel wrenches, plus nuts on cart, etc.
-Penn reel cleaner
-Penn Blue
-Hot sauce
- 5 minute devcon epoxy
-spare rod tips
-acid brushes for grease and epoxy.
-tip glue
-lighter

Had two tips busted and had to replace, either from rod carriers or shock knot (note: used a bit of braid to wrap the tip and epoxy over it. most shops will just stick one on with glue and charge $10 bucks...useless). Used all reel care items. Kept me fishing and reels cleaned daily. 

Add your recco to add to the box, let's hear it! you can go from a multitool and WDS all the way to Fred's bench if you have the space; I was trying to keep it manageable but I find more and more shops no longer do repair or carry parts so we're on our own.

Shark Hunter

I just bring spare reels in a Pelican case. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Great Idea, TH --

We need to learn how to rely on our own skill and ingenuity for maintaining our fishing gear.

Some of you may not be old enough to remember pulling into a gas station -- and a friendly attendant would come out -- check your oil, tire air pressure, fluid levels, wash your windshield -- check for anything obviously that may be an issue -- as they are pumping the gas -- then pleasantly thank you for your business.

Nowadays, we are lucky to get the person behind the counter to even smile as you hand them $60 - $80 for a tank of gas.

Forget about service -- not their fault -- it is as foreign to them as flying is to frogs.

If we are not careful -- fishing reels will also go this route -- as the Corporate profit model of planned obsolescence becomes the norm we accept.

Don't rely on others to maintain your gear -- take control, gain knowledge, enjoy being prepared.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

Your list is pretty comprehensive!

The only other thing I can think of for an away trip would be maybe a set of spare drags for each reel, just in case of a burnt out.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

thorhammer

Hahahahh I just had a vision of a forklift loading a Pelican coffin full of Sharkhunter 14/0 back up reels. :)

I took backups too and had AR go out so they were needed.

Mo, I in fact did have a spare set of carbontex for the 980 but if I burned that one up I'd call it a day! :)

John

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

I like it, and am hunting a case. Did you shape it out with exacto knife or differently?

Shark Hunter

It came with foam that is precut. They call it Pick and Pluck. You just pull out what you need in small squares.
Life is Good!

thorhammer