East coast head boat tuna

Started by bill19803, October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

The Sea Bass season for Feb. has been cancelled AGAIN.

My Tests are still pending. I will be eating Turkey.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

bill19803

So  its  getting  to be that  time  of  the year again.  Tuna  trips   start    sept   10   for  me.  Goal  this year   200 lb   sword   true  stand up   style. No  chair  no  rod  holder   just  me  vs   fish on a anchored head  boat   with   24 other  guys. Was wandering   around    ebay  and  what  to my  wondering  eyes    should appear   but   an  atd  130   that  was   cheap. A  cuiple  of  bids  and deal  done. It arrived  and  it  was all it  was advertised  and then   some- no boat rash  one  small scratch  and  a      monster   winch. Cleaned    it up  waxed  spool  checked  all  screws  to make  sure  not  corroded in place  and  greased   the holes    to  seal  them  with  cals. Then  the  fun   putting on  line   without  a   line  winder. Took a week to  get it   done.   4275  cranks   in  low  gear   to  put on  130  spectra hollow   c-16.. Then  600  cranks   to load on  appx    200  yds   izor   135   first  string   and  then   75   ft of  izor   200   flouro. Still  got   room   for  maybe  200-300  yds  of  mono but not  gonna  put it on.  If  the 4000   ft of line is  not  enough  i need   to  grow  a much bigger pair. Fighting a  fish   thru all  that  line   would literally  put  an old  guy like  me in the hospital  or the  casket.
A few   trips  here  and there    to  get   HD   swivels   crimps  and hooks  and   all  gear  on  hand. Spent a few  nights   tying hooks, spraying   crimps  black,   crimping short leaders    for   bottom hooks on  2 hook  rigs.  Bait has  been in freezer  since last year   2  lb   squid  now  have  about    20  of  them from   scotts   B &  T (mystic   parts)
Back  up  gear  this  year    atd 80  loaded  with  spectra   and   80stw  loaded  with  spectra.  Rods  all custom  calstars   770 series xxxh,   XXH  and  xh  fuji   guides.

Yep im  ready   and   wanting  to   go   already.  Nothing like a bit  of   high  expectations  and  anticipation  but thats   fishing.  So  now  its  just  hunker  down  and  wait,  get on the boat  and  wait and hope. 

Next  report    sept  12   whether its the  good,  the bad  or the ugly

bill19803

Ruben

Goldeneaglefishing.com     has  all  the  info
the    24 hour  trips  are  strictly   tuna/sword   the   31 hours   do  an  afternoon  of  pot hopping   for  mahi  before  anchoring   for  tuna/sword  for  the  night
no   guarantees   its   fishing .The  mahi   fishing  can be  fantastic  but there  are   some tricks   to getting the bigger ones.Seems most guys  concentrate  on  numbers  of   fish rather then   size Me ill take  1   20  lber   rather  then  5    3   lber  and there are  some hoos   at pots  too

Decker

Bill, glad to see you are feeling your oats!! 

I'm going to seriously consider going, especially if we can put together an East Coast Ohana trip.  ;D ;D ;D  I don't have the kind of tackle that this trip demands, but will work on it. 

bill19803

Joe   if  you   can handle  using   atd reel  with  spectra  ive   got  all  we    could need,   atd 30,    50,   50 w.  Intl   30   50w   80w
all  we  need is   guys

Decker

Bill, thanks very much for offering your gear!  I see they rent too.   Can you round up guys?  Sounds like you plan on going out more than once...

https://www.goldeneaglefishing.com/schedule

bill19803

and again  its that  time of  year  when  my blood  runs  hot, my back hurts in anticipation  and  the freezer has   a load  of  big    squid. Scheduled 3   trips   for  tuna/mahi   31  hours  from  Brielle  NJ.   First one  was cancelled -weather.  So   was lucky   enough  to  transfer   to    24 hour  the  following  week.  Trip  went,  2  tuna bites   for  the  entire  boat My   big  squid  came  back  to the boat untouched  for a  while. Then a   cloud  of   squid  moved  in  and   everyone  diverted   to  light  gear  to  catch  squid.  Better then nothing   but  not  what  we came   for.

My  big   squid   got   eaten  by   squid   so   switched  to   live   fresh caught.  Fished    with   1/2  oz   weight  kinda  just  floating it out there. Nada    went    down  to  about   600  deep    nada  didnt  try bottom   cause   didnt  want tile fish  or   ling. Sword  tuna or bust   From bait  placements and results  looked like   squid  were at least 150  ft   thick. Capt  saw  the   writing on  the   fish   scope and pulled the hook and  went pot hopping   for  mahi.  Some  bouys  were barren    some  were loaded.  Guessing   150   fish   for the boat  but   only a  few  gaffers. If  you  didnt hook up on  your  first two casts  you were  pretty  much  toast  as the boat  drifted  away  from the bouy. Things  that  worked    small  hooks,   small  pieces  of   butterfish   and   small  metallic  minnows. Squid  tentacles  this  time were a   dud,  probably  cause  not many   fish  around  big  enough  to  tackle  them.

Didnt  break out the   atd   130   this  trip  used  atd  80  performed  flawlessly  but  weighs  about   2  tons less then   130.  !30 is gonna  be  an outfit   for   drifting  in  superdeep   and    fishing   WAY  DEEP  but  for   500-700 ft  the    80 is  just   fine.   500 ft out  just barely   shows  on   80   spool

So last trip is  scheduled  for 8-9  october    tuna/mahi supposedly. sure hope   it  gets better  cause   2  years   of  nada   aint no   fun.
Ocean  calm  but  heat  unmerciful.  this old man  went thru  8  bottles of  water  and begged a few more and  still  was    dehydrated  when i  got home,   dead  tired   and   squid  filthy.Then buggers  will  squirt   ya.   Only had a  couple   chicken mahi    so gave them   away   rather then  mess   with  them at home.  Sleep  was more important.

Trip   2    forecast   was   for 10-16   ft  seas    so   capt  pulled plug 2  days early  . That  would have been another trip  from hell

Tight lines

bluefish69

Bill

The Voyager had about the same report. Check his site for his report. He changed his trips around a little.

Mike

Decker

Bill, thanks very much for the report.  I admire you getting out there, and am grateful for the account.   Interesting world out there.  Hope we can do an East Coast Ohana trip or two in the future.   Remind me, please when the time is coming in springtime to make reservations.  Good luck on the next trip!

bill19803

well the last  trip  came  and  went.    went pot hopping   for  mahi in afternoon     good  catches   and  then anchored  up   for  the night    water  71 degrees
750   ft. Squid    were  around  up high   and   down  deep  too. Put out   giant   squid    with    20   oz  lead  and   700   ft line. Nada  nada nada  Couple mahi mahi  caught  on   tuna  gear.  one    small  sword. That all  she    wrote   for  the night  for the boat.  back  to pot hoppin in morning  for mahi mahi.  Thats  it   for this year, probably  never   go  again  but  we  will   see  how  it  all  works out

Bill

out

Decker

Quote from: mrbrklyn on October 12, 2018, 01:42:16 AM
72 degree water temperature out of Brooklyn yesterday.  ... FWIW
http://www.brooklyn-living.com/fishing.html

Funny, the Sheepshead Bay party boats are only about an hour and a half drive from my house outside Phillly.   What is is about NYC that attracts so many fish?  ::) 

Bill, sorry to hear the trip was less than successful.  Hold on to some hope of an Ohana outing in the future...

bluefish69

THe last thing that I read from the Brooklyn VI in Sheepshead Bay is NO TUNA FISHING this year.

Mike

BMITCH

Long time fellow AT members. I'm baaaaack. Lol. Got 4 trips to the edge planned in the next 3 weeks. Blown out of a 36 hour trip this week. Forecast was fo 20-30 knot winds and 6-12 footers. Glad that one didn't go. I'm getting too old to fish in those conditions. Not fun nor funny. This wind and weather has put a hurtin on the head boats even getting out there. Hope Mother Nature cooperates these next couple weeks. Will get back with reports..IF they go 
luck is the residue of design.

Decker

Quote from: BMITCH on October 18, 2018, 02:35:32 PM
Long time fellow AT members. I'm baaaaack. Lol. Got 4 trips to the edge planned in the next 3 weeks. Blown out of a 36 hour trip this week. Forecast was fo 20-30 knot winds and 6-12 footers. Glad that one didn't go. I'm getting too old to fish in those conditions. Not fun nor funny. This wind and weather has put a hurtin on the head boats even getting out there. Hope Mother Nature cooperates these next couple weeks. Will get back with reports..IF they go 

Good luck and looking forward to reports.  Which boat are you going out on?   

BMITCH

Queen Mary. Inshore 60 mile trip. Gambler and Voyager. To be honest..unfortunately I don't keep a log book, but I've been doing this head boat tuna thing since 82. I would have to say the majority of fish have been in November. Usually smaller specimens though. Mostly LFT's
luck is the residue of design.