East coast head boat tuna

Started by bill19803, October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Decker, I see the grumpy's Sign. Maybe a sea bass trip in December when they open the season again? Voyager has heated hand rails.
luck is the residue of design.

Reel 224

The Queen Mary Had a great Captain in the late 60s and 70s Me and my brother fished the boat every week and always Caught fish.

We stopped when my brother got a boat.Head boats are not my cup of tea anymore, It was fun in it's day though.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

BMITCH

Hey joe, hope all is well with you and yours. Unfortunately this time of year the weather windows are sketchy at best so..... 90ft of boat works for me.

Decker

Quote from: BMITCH on October 18, 2018, 03:26:05 PM
Decker, I see the grumpy's Sign. Maybe a sea bass trip in December when they open the season again? Voyager has heated hand rails.

I've heard good things about the Voyager.  December is a tough month for me - two birthdays and my wedding anniversary.  But let me know.  I'd definitely like to get out on the water with some guys from this site.

Gfish

What's a "head boat"? I.e., what makes a sportfishing boat a head boat, relative to others that aren't?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

BMITCH

I think it goes back a ways. Packed onto a boat like "heads" of cattle. Generally here on the east coast they run from 40 to 110 feet. In the fall/winter it's the only way to get to the fish

Decker

Greg, I'm tempted to give you a funny answer, but will tell the truth instead. A head  boat is one where each fisherman (each head) pays the fare to fish. This is different from a charter boat, where there is generally one group price. I usually call them party boats, but they're not for partying.

Gfish

Ok, thanks. I guess they don't use that term on the Left coast. Any humorous answers welcomed, just keep in mind I'm not that bright, so don't leave me hangin with only that as my answer.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

BMITCH

There ya go. I learned something new today.

Decker

This isn't the right place for this post, but I don't know a better one...

Tomorrow 10/26 is supposed to be calm on the Mid-Atlantic coast (before bad conditions this weekend) and the porgy/sea bass/ tog fishing has lately been very good.  If anyone wants to join me on a party boat in the morning anywhere from Sheepshead Bay, NY to Lewes, DE, please PM me.  

If I go alone, it will likely be out of Belmar, NJ.  

Cheers,

/Joe

bill19803

joe
you may  want to  check  fishing reports  goldeneaglefishing.com  out of  belmar Looks like   sparce   on a lot of  species.  The boats  from   belmar  all  fish  the  same  areas  pretty much  so  what one   gets they all  get   

Reel 224

I am very tempted to fish with you guys on a Head boat this fall season. I haven't wet a line this year...........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Decker

Bill,  I tend to focus on the bottom-fishing reports.  The Golden Eagle seems more oriented to false albacore, bonito and blues (I guess they chum).   The Big Mohawk has a good report lately.  I may go up to Atlantic Highlands.   The boats up there have been giving consistently good reports (when the weather allows) and I think they are generally closer to the fishing grounds.

Joe, you had mentioned before that party boats were tough to negotiate physically.   If you're willing to go sometime, let me know.  I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can.  

My status is, "Too many reels, not enough fishing,"  so, I'm working toward a better balance. ;)

Reel 224

I need a rope to tie myself to the rail ;D I have a problem standing for any length of time because my left knee was damaged in the military, But I think I could sit and fish especially for bottom fish.................................Joe

I appreciate you willingness to help me, but I'm 6' 340Lbs and I don't want to give you a hernia  :o ;D.   

Decker

Quote from: Reel 224 on October 25, 2018, 07:19:25 PM
I appreciate you willingness to help me, but I'm 6' 340Lbs and I don't want to give you a hernia  :o ;D.   

I can still give lots of encouragement, and take the rod from you if the fish is too big ;D