stainless steel gear sleeves - penn squidders, jigmasters, and smaller senators

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bluefish69

The Jig Masters with 10-60 Star are Fine Thread. I don't know the other Star number because I'm having a Senior Moment at this time.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Ok, lets complicate things a little more ;D, the 10-60 star is coarse thread, the only fine thread that I know of is a 10-505 star.
Scott has some type of note on the 10-60 that I've never seen before, this is not related to fine or coarse tooth. If a star feels too snug on the stainless steel sleeve at first, I wouldn't worry about it too much, usually the stainless sleeve acts as a tap and works itself into the softer star material.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bluefish69

I'm happy to be corrected from fine to course. Now the correct info will help someone.

Mike

Daron you know what is coming next. LOL
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Lensters

Yeah, 10-60s are coarse, 10-505s are fine.  Most of the other small stars are also coarse.  I've had Jigmasters come in with all sorts of stars on them 10-49s are common on older ones.

If I change out a gear sleeve for a stainless one I always go with the fine thread version (98-505) so I buy a 10-505 star to go with it.  The reason for the fine thread is better drag control and easier to get to max drag.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Alto Mare

Yeah Lensters, those with the larger star could be mine I've upgraded many. I see you like fine thread, just steer away from aluminum stars, as the ones selling on eBay.
Here are a few of the ones I like now:
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That is Ridiculous Sal! :D
Did the Guys ever make any of those for the Big Senators?
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Couldn't tell you bud :-\. The one on the reel on the right I purchased from Adam (Three7ens), the rest were a gift from Dave ( Jurelometer). Both could make the larger ones if they wanted to, there are also a couple of other guys here that could do it as well.
Dave was working on other projects and I don't believe he has the time.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

txangler81

AEM

I have installed new stainless gear sleeves on my 112 and 49 and wanted to put a 10-49 star on my 112. I ordered a new one from Scotts but it is more than just tight. I would like to run a tap through it but my complete automotive tap and die set does not have one to match. Does any one off hand know the thread size. It seems like an odd size.

alantani

the top thread on some of them got bent down a little.  if you force the star, you can "chase" the threads and it will work.  sorry for the hassle, you have one the few remaining gear sleeves left.  i can't get anyone locally to make them for me anymore.  i am last on everyone's list or priorities.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!