stainless steel gear sleeves - penn squidders, jigmasters, and smaller senators

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the penn 500 jigmaster was originally designed for 30 pound mono and 5 pounds of drag.  if you crank down on the star or if the drags get sticky, you can easily double that.  once you exceed 7-8 pounds of drag and start cranking, you will round off the top of of the drive shaft that it attaches to.  this drive shaft, in penn fishing reels, is called a gear sleeve.  to increase the functional drag range of these reels, i recommended greasing the drag washers and installing a stainless steel gear sleeve.  the stainless steel will hold up to pressures of 12 pounds (maybe a little more), meaning that you used up to 40# mono and a 30% drag setting.  for the squidder gear sleeve, you will be replacing part #98-155.  for the jigmaster 500/501, the long beach series, the senator 111, 112, 112h, and 113, 113h, the mariner 49/149, you will be replacing part #98-60.  in the jigmaster 505/506 and SOME of the jigmaster 500/501's, you will be replacing a fine thread gear sleeve that has a part # of 98-505.  the coarse thread gear sleeve uses a #10-60 or 10-66 star, the fine thread gear sleeve uses a #10-505 star.  check the number stamped on your star first.  

when ordering let me know if you want a #98-60 coarse stainless, a #98-505 fine stainless, or a #98-155 coarse stainless.  they are $20 each, shipping included.   send a check to alan tani, 12362 ted court, saratoga, ca 95070 and i'll ship out them out.

here are the brass gear sleeves

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

yeeeesssshhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!  i just found out last night that the hole for the retaining pin on the squidder gear sleeves and the coarse thread jigmaster gear sleeves were drilled too high.  the whole batch needs to be redrilled.  i think i gotten ahold of everyone except mike m.  mike, can you give me a call?  thanks!  alan

alantani

Good Morning.  Alan.  The people at PennParts suggested I contact you.  I use my Penn 114h's for grouper digging with a lot of drag.  The top of the gear sleeves are rounding.  I've been reading and talking to friends and they say to replace with a stainless sleeve.
I'm having a difficult time finding the part in stainless.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You 

i called electramate and they were closed today.  here's a link http://www.elec-tra-mate.com/index.html   they should carry this part.  my machinist has been asking about making one, but i have not seen the need yet.  it would cost me about $3000 for a minimum order of 100 pieces.  that's why i've balked so far.  please let me know.  thanks!  alan

alantani

On a whim I contacted our local commercial supply house and they carry the
sleeve in stainless.
Following is there contact info if you are interested.

Fisherman's Ideal Supply House 
http://www.fishermansidealsupply.com/recreationaltackle/
750 Welch Causeway East 
St. Petersburg,  FL  33708 
727-391-7380 
Call: 1-800-780-7380 

Thanks again!

i just spoke to them and they confirm that they have ten at a $19.95 price.  i called back to verify the price because normally they go for $35.  um, i also ordered three to keep in inventory, so i guess they have seven now.........

alantani

i called electramate and they verify that they also carry one.  it's $25.

alantani

hi i got that part today this morning i put it on had a hard time trying to get the pin in i got in in by a little force but would not spin and inspected the part it would not work so i put the original back on maybe this part is only for the older penn jigmasters mine is new penn jigmaster 500L or maybe there was a defect with the gear sleeve itself email me back or call me let me know if you ran in to this problem before i mailed the part back today

i think i found the problem.  the slot for the retaining pin in the old bridge posts were ground down pretty deep.  i think that the new ones from china are not.  i'm going to have to do some looking, but i think that the stainless steel gear sleeves will not fit the chinese versions of these reels.  this could really be a mess!  stand by......

doryscott

Alan,

Will the gear sleeve 98-60 for the Penn 111 fit the Penn 1/0 110

i'd like to order one

Scott

Bryan Young

Yes it will.  Send a PM to Alan and a check per the instructions in the first thread.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

j12

Just wondering if the issue with the pin hole being too low for newer jigmasters has been resolved. If it has been, I will be ordering the s/s bearing sleeve :)

alantani

pennparts.com has the correct ones.  i have all the ones that were cut too deep.  i use them on reels that come across this bench, or reels that in can verify are older US-made reels. 

Gman_WC

So will replacing the gear sleeve part #98-60 work on the 113hs as well?
I assuming that there is no thin or thick threads to match up as on the Jigmaster.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Norcal Pescador

Gary,
The 113H uses the 98-320 gear sleeve [a little bigger than the 98-60]. The stainless one from PennParts is the 98-320AT.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Just wanted to pass on my thanks and appreciation for the fine S/S gear sleeves (1 x Jigmaster 500 and 1 x 113H).
They've worked a treat and are beautifully made.
Had to tap a new thread in the 500 star (mistakenly ordered the coarse thread and didn't have a 10-66 star), so I'm hoping the new thread holds. Will have to keep an eye out for a 10-60 or 66, I s'pose.
Great product, great service - thanks again Alan.
All the best,
Justin (New Zealand)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ward

Let me add another thanks for gear sleeves from Alan.  They are beautiful.  Tonight will be devoted to upgrading a couple reels and prepping the boat for the first salmon trip tomorrow.  Thanks!