stainless steel gear sleeves - penn squidders, jigmasters, and smaller senators

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Ok, let me blow up this thread a little more...I PM'd Alan earlier today, but realized he gets bombarded with messages, so I decided to post my questions here as well hoping to get an answer.

Message sent to Alan:

I had a question about the 113H SS gear sleeve...I picked up two 113H reels recently, and both seem to be a fine thread gear sleeves (10 threads), that fit star #10-349.

Q's:

Do you have a SS sleeve that will fit the 113H with a star #10-349?

Query...I see in the for sale section you have the 113H fine thread gear sleeve for sale, that also fits certain models of jigmasters (assuming that is the one I would need). *Aside from the thread difference, is the fine thread SS sleeve the same strength and thickness as the coarse thread SS sleeve for the 113H, or is it slightly "weaker" in regards to torque capability?

*I am asking because the picture in the for sale add appears as though the coarse thread SS sleeve is thicker and bulkier, but could be due to the offset angle in the picture. Just wanted to inquire before making a purchase.

Thank you for your time,

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Ron Jones

I haven't read the for sale listing, but the 113H and the Jigmaster have different gear sleeves. All 113H gear sleeves are the same thread and utilize the 10-349 star; the Jigmaster sized sleeves, which also fit the 112H Senator and the majority of Penn reels can be either fine or coarse threaded.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundaytrucka

Quote from: noyb72 on November 04, 2013, 05:44:59 AM
I haven't read the for sale listing, but the 113H and the Jigmaster have different gear sleeves. All 113H gear sleeves are the same thread and utilize the 10-349 star; the Jigmaster sized sleeves, which also fit the 112H Senator and the majority of Penn reels can be either fine or coarse threaded.

Ron

Thanks for the quick reply Ron. I assumed the 113H used a different sleeve than other reels, but wording confused me.

I was referring to Alan's first post in this thread (I realize the thread was started in 2008). Quote in original post in question: "for the jigmaster 500/501, the long beach series, the senator 111, 112, 112h, and 113, 113h, the mariner 49/149, you will be replacing part #98-60."

Confused me, and the reason I am inquiring; that wording would assume all those reels use the same gear sleeve and that all would fit the same replacement SS sleeve.

I guess I should just hit up Alan or Bryan and ask for a fine thread SS sleeve for a 113H? I have to know what I am getting before placing an order, especially for a part with specific fitment.

Ron Jones

I think the boss went a little to fast with his list, the 113H shouldn't be there.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on November 04, 2013, 06:35:16 AM
I think the boss went a little to fast with his list, the 113H shouldn't be there.

Ron

Yup.  The 113H uses a 98-320 gear sleeve.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sundaytrucka

franky

Hello Alan,

I'd like to order a fine tooth stainless gear sleeve for a penn 3/0 which I believe is the same as a jigmaster gear sleeve.  PM sent.

Bryan Young

Quote from: franky on March 17, 2014, 07:28:23 PM
Hello Alan,

I'd like to order a fine tooth stainless gear sleeve for a penn 3/0 which I believe is the same as a jigmaster gear sleeve.  PM sent.
Aloha Franky,

Alan just left for Mexico.  I'll send one out to you.  Please send me a PM to remind me as I'm getting thing together for shipping.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

If you are switching to a fine thread sleeve you will also need a fine thread star.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

LTM

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 17, 2014, 08:54:30 PM
Quote from: franky on March 17, 2014, 07:28:23 PM
Hello Alan,

Aloha Franky,

Alan just left for Mexico.  I'll send one out to you.  Please send me a PM to remind me as I'm getting thing together for shipping.

Bryan
Bryan,

You holding down the fort with full service parts ordering until Alan gets back?

Leo

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

thanks Ron. yes my friend has a fine tooth star to go along with a fine tooth sleeve.
Brian, PM sent with address and request for a fine tooth gear sleeve.

thank you, :)

Bryan Young

franky

Hey Brian,

I installed the new SS gear sleeve....sweeet.  The guy forgot to bring his star, but I will see him this evening. 

Btw, I checked the schematics for the penn 3/0 and the jigmaster 505 HS.  It shows the handle nut part #23-60 to be the same on both reels.  I assume that they both share the same handle nut.  At the moment, it just seems that the original nut 23-60 is kind of tight for the SS gear sleeve.  I did not want to use the wrench to force it before checking.

I just wanted to reconfirm....are the teeth on the inside of the gear sleeve the same as the teeth on the handle nut Part 23-60?