stainless steel gear sleeves - penn squidders, jigmasters, and smaller senators

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: franky on March 24, 2014, 09:09:14 PM
Hey Brian,

I installed the new SS gear sleeve....sweeet.  The guy forgot to bring his star, but I will see him this evening. 

Btw, I checked the schematics for the penn 3/0 and the jigmaster 505 HS.  It shows the handle nut part #23-60 to be the same on both reels.  I assume that they both share the same handle nut.  At the moment, it just seems that the original nut 23-60 is kind of tight for the SS gear sleeve.  I did not want to use the wrench to force it before checking.

I just wanted to reconfirm....are the teeth on the inside of the gear sleeve the same as the teeth on the handle nut Part 23-60?

Hi Franky,

The handle nut is same.  It will be tight for the first time you screw the handle nut. After that, it will mate smoothly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

hi, patrick!  the progear 545 is the same size as the 4/0 penn 113h.  for this reel, you need a 113h gear sleeve.  these are $25.  i also have a $3 dog, a $2 drag washer that goes under the main gear, and a complete penn 113h drag kit (carbon fiber and metal) for $12.  shipping is $3.  oh, and i also have a large handle grip for $41 that drastically improves the reel.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8662.0

or, i can just send you the gear sleeve!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Patrick, you may need to sand the retaining pin down due to the different position of the retaining knotch on the gear sleeve shaft.  I have used a fine file for this.  Grind slowly on one side and fit and file and fit and file until it fits.

Sometimes I think it would be much easier to just buy a 113H bridgeplate and the gear sleeve fits like a glove without any modifications, but I don't have that kind of money...so I just make it work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FARRIER

jig-guy

Hi Alan, where are the stainless steel dogs for my 113 Black Senators. I want to purchase 2 of them as soon as I hear from you.
Thank you,
jig-guy

anglingarchitect

alantani

a few 500 jigmaster and squidder gear sleeves have gone to smoothdrag.com for her to look at.  the remaining inventory has gone to mysticparts.com and they are going to sell them all off.  right now i am looking for a new source.  it will be months before we work this all out.  once smoothdrag and mysticparts run out, it may be a long time before we have more inventory.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

txangler81

are there any gear sleeves available for the surfmaster 250 couldn't seem to find them on mysticparts thanks

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

txangler81

if it uses a jigmaster sleeve then why doesn't the jigmaster main gear work with it just currious

Ron Jones

The ID of a lot of Penn main gears are the same in order to use this sleeve, the OD is totally different in order to fit different sized reels and give different gear ratios.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

This is where it gets confusing. The Jigmaster 500 and Surfmaster 250 have the same spool and sleeve.
I have several Jigmasters that I still need to upgrade. How do I know if I need a fine or coarse sleeve?
I need to look at them, I'm sure I probably have both. This is not an issue with the Surfmasters.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: txangler81 on August 01, 2014, 04:07:46 AM
if it uses a jigmaster sleeve then why doesn't the jigmaster main gear work with it just currious
Even though it is nice to have tighter tolerance on custom parts than Penn stock parts., I have had to enlarge the ID on some custom gears to install them...not a big deal.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 01, 2014, 05:01:32 AM
This is where it gets confusing. The Jigmaster 500 and Surfmaster 250 have the same spool and sleeve.
I have several Jigmasters that I still need to upgrade. How do I know if I need a fine or coarse sleeve?
I need to look at them, I'm sure I probably have both. This is not an issue with the Surfmasters.
Not that confusing Bud.
This one will fit all the reels listed below and it only comes in coarse tooth:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/98-155AT.aspx
This one comes with fine tooth or coarse tooth:
https://www.mysticparts.com//PennParts/Custom/98-60AT.aspx
The sleeve ratchet on the 98-60AT is 3.25mm wider than the 98-155AT.
If you want to use a fine tooth sleeve on the Squidder or other Surfmasters, go for it, I see no problem with swapping the 98-155AT with the 98-60AT, just make sure you get yourself a 10-505.
The 98-155 will also work on the Jigmaster,...if you had to ;)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.