Mitchell 302

Started by Bill B, October 19, 2015, 04:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 17, 2015, 04:25:18 AM
So I have 3 or 4 or these reels on my bench.  I cleaned off all of the caked on grease and now the reels run rough, but the anti-reverse now works.  I will need to practice the art of shimming to keep the gears in alignment due to wear and lack of caked on hard or sticky grease.  Simple reels but this is providing me the greatest challenge.  ARG

Bryan I have many gear sets if you need some. At least 15lbs worth..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

Quote from: fishhawk on December 16, 2015, 11:54:57 PM
Thanx Aiala! Yea. I think I would like a coffee grinder handle on my 306 but not sure if they would fit, description doesnt say anything about it.  Reckon I'll ask the seller.

i will check and advise. 99% certain the 302 / 402 handles fit 306 / 406 because I'm pretty sure i switched one when I bought coffee grinder for 402 and moved the longer handle down to the 306.

foakes

These larger Mitchells are not set up to shim like the 300s are.

The gears are a softer metal than Penns or Quicks -- both the mains and pinions

So, when you do a good job on cleaning one of these old soldiers up -- what is generally left are clean, but worn gears.

Depending on your client -- you can either grease them liberally -- live with the uneven meshing -- or like Keith sez -- replace the gears.

This is true on the 306, 307, 302, 303, 402, 403, 386, 486, and others.

Shimming might help -- but it will generally get in the way of proper long-term operation -- and is not a preferred fix -- and you are right, Bryan -- it is an effort in futility.  If you are not there yet -- you might be very soon.  Better just to fix it, and move on.

JMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fishhawk

Bryan Young

Thanks Keith and Fred.  What a shame....  Let me check with my customer to see if they will be shelved or fished. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D